Best Value Twinshock?

marky g

Then the best value classic twinshock has got to be Spanish....................Ossa M A replique you can find good ones not messed about complete and parts can be had. From 650 qiud will buy you a good one and they will soon go up in price..........and you will get a lot out of this bike............. early monts up to 1973 but

you may have to pay more for a nice example but you'l love it to bits in the sections if you set it up right................ model 49 or 80 bul, good ones are hard to find but you'l enjoy restoring, one parts are off the shelf and better than putting moey in the bank.......LETS FACE IT WHAT COUNTRY TOOK TRIALING BY THE GOOLIES AND SPAT OUT 3 BIKES THAT TOTALLY DOMINATED THE SPORT FOR 30 YEARS...................... SPANISH CLASSIC TRIALS BIKES, someone should right a book on the subjct.........

As for your TL's ask yourself 'would you buy a Honda car'.....................if the answer is yes then start looking at mz's......................

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I quite like the Honda's, I've had two TLR 250's over the years (one was my first ever trials bike)

I would like to own one again but I just don't think the bikes are worth the money people seem to be asking....... horses for courses and all that.

From what Steve was saying today Bult and jap bikes are the best to go for with the spares situation in mind, I love to do my own work and I would hate to own something that I know the spares were getting rare or even non exsistant.

I've hopefully got a contact number to a guy whos has a ty250 t/s for sale, failing that I'll keep my eyes peeled for a bultaco 350.

No contest - 350 Bult is a far better bike. Standard TY250 has nowhere near the grunt of the Bult and some bits and pieces are no longer available from Yamaha. Plus they sound bloody awful with the standard exhaust.

Look at this little beauty - 1976 type 159 325cc.

They can be had for very reasonable money and there have been a few on evil bay recently. And I would guess there is nothing you can't buy new for this bike apart from maybe that particular style petrol tank.

The other side

Or how about this Bling Bling Bulto (bit too much bling for me but strip some of it off and it would be a real looker)

Edited by Woody

I have to admit,when I first rode my ty250 twinshock - I thought "Mm,nice handling,but too high geared and gutless." Wrong - now I've done a couple of trials on it, there is nothing to change on it.It is I think completely in the spirit of twinshock trials,the engine will run down to nothing and slog harder than I thought,it grips,steers and runs beautifully.Makes me realise how bad the 250 Beamish I started on in 1985 was.The ty is pretty much standard apart from the seat/tank unit and exhaust - both Miller items.

I'm really chuffed with it,and when I find time to practice on it,I'm looking forward to really getting used to it.

What differences were there in the Majesty framed ones? - cant get over how well this one steers,if the Majesty's were any better I want one.

The second one I have in bits I am now determined to find an electric start Serrow engine for - two reasons,I'd love it to be 4 stroke and also electric start.(Dont mind the weight penalty)

Three,actually - it'd be nice to have a Jap 4 stroke that isnt a Honda,just for a change.(Done the Tlr/Rtl thing already in 86/88)

Edited by jon v8

:chairfall:

After all I'd said about TLR's need not apply......I've got hold of a TLR200 :blink: it's been brought in from Japan and in need of a little tlc which reflected the price.

No doubt I'll end up spending a fourtune on it.....best not tell the missus eh :ph34r:

Cheers for all the info guys re the twinshock bikes

• 3 weeks later...

Or how about this Bling Bling Bulto (bit too much bling for me but strip some of it off and it would be a real looker)

Not sure about the Bulto but I am very interested in the Montesa behind it. Cota 330. Don't suppose you have a better picture do you? I have one lurking in my garage but need a couple of bits before I can ride it. Airbox, kickstart and piston mainly. Also think the pegs could do with being lowered.

Edited by steve

Don't have a picture of that particular 330 but how about these.

I would think your best bet for parts is Spain as they aren't well catered for here at all. Problem is, having contacts out there. You could try Dave Renham. Although he is Bultos, he is geting hold of some parts for Ossas now also and has contacts in Spain. He is going out there in a few weeks so you could ask him a favour to see if anyone has the parts you need when he is there. They seem a popular bike in Spanish classic eventts as they are always in the results reported on Todotrial and they look in good nick in the photos so there must be parts for them somewhere

Marky, the TLR is a great bike. Probably one of the most competative twin shocks. There are some good aftermarket parts and parts for the motor are shared with quite a few honda models(xr, xl,cl and atvs).

I just finished fixing up a tlr200 and love it. The torquey motor is great; It will tractor up the steepest hills without losing grip. Good choice!!!

Cheers MT, I've just painted the frame and I'm in the process of putting it all back togethor in the next few days/weeks.

The bike is in very good nick for it's age, I can only imagine that this is because the bike has lived it's life on road and not off so to speak, wheels and spokes are in very good condition, rear shocks and fork stantions are also very good, engine sounds sweet.....I've took off the lights and all the unwanted tack.....I'll bang on a few pics of before and after when it's done :hyper:

post-2066-1163194016.jpgDid someone ask about spare's for mont's.

A guy in t+mx used to advertise spare's for them he does'nt seem to be there anymore,i spoke to him a couple of year's ago seem's to know alot about them.i will have to go through some old copys to find his number.

His name was jeff bungay,it might ring a bell with someone on here.

i have to find some time to restore this at some stage.