Sy250 Setup

ericm

Riders!

My SY250's shifting leaves a bit to be desired. Sometimes I have to hold the lever a bit to get it to go all the way in, otherwise I can get a false neutral. Happens most often in sectinons of course... that'll teach me not to shift in sections. I've been using Maxima 75wt gear oil (what I used in Betas). I've tried ATF as well. Does 10w-30 work better?

Can I remove the lighting just with unplugging connectors and not cutting any wires?

If I do, can I get rid of the black cylinder thing? How about the two electronics boxes? Do both stay? I'd like to simplify my bike.

How does one drain the fork oil? There's no drain screw. Do I have to

take them off and upend them?

Where do you run your forks in the triple clamps?

Thanks.

Eric

Hi Eric,

Been too busy working on the Jeep to do much with the SY (had to re-gear the rear & install a locker) but hope to get a bit of time to prep it for some riding this weekend. I'll try & look at some of the stuff you mentioned & see if I can give you any answers. I can measure the fork tube drop for sure, will try & get an idea what the gear lube is since everything on the bike is as it came from the dealer. I've only had the chance to ride it in one event and a bit in the yard thanks to other distractions, but have yet to experience the shifting issue you mention. Maybe I'm not as sensitive to it since I'm coming from my 97 Techno (which was extremely picky about it's gears and fluids), but I found it's shifting quite easy and predictable. BTW, my Techno had a Rev3 bottom end in it, so it wasn't just due to it being an old motor & gearbox.

I also just checked to see if there was anything in the manual about the forks; NADA! Interesting how that part of the bike got left out, isn't it? :)

Eric,

I checked the fork tubes and they're at 5.2mm from the top of the clamp to the top of the tube (caliper against the bottom of the cap). Can't see anyplace to drain the oil unless there's a drain screw accessible via the axle hole (not likely). I guess you have to turn the m up to do the job.

I can't tell anything about the trans oil via the drip test; guess I'll just have to ask Bob Ginder what they put in it when he prepped it for me. Whatever it is, it seems to shift fine with no problems finding neutral (yet). I was swapping the water pump/radiator hose this afternoon & hoping to get my CF water pump housing guard soon; that thing doesn't care for the rocks at all!

Hope you're having fun on your bike; min's a blast!

I rode a tough trials yesterday on the Scorpa. Just a local PITS (NorCal club) trials but the loop was really rough. The OHV park it was held at (Carnegie) is huge and has massive hills. The loop used nearly all of the park. It took me 5.5 hours and I only stopped to rest once. My whole upper body is completely beat! The bike did great though.

Most of the sections (and a lot of the loop) had steep loose uphills and the Scorpa motored right up 'em. It seems to be good at finding traction. Which is good because I'm not!

I got the CF water pump guard right off so I haven't had any problem but I can see that it's pretty vulnerable. I've been looking for a small container to make a radiator overflow reserviour from but I haven't found the right one yet. There's not much extra room on modern bikes.

Eric