Vehicle Classification And Liscencing

bob

Hiya,

I'm 17 at the moment and taking driving lessons, hopefully putting in for my test soon. It used to be the law that anybody could drive any car under seven and a half tonnes after passing their driving test, but now it seems that there are loads of new laws, including not being allowed to pull a trailer with a maximum laden mass of over three quaters of a tonne without taking a test, or being allowed to drive a large van weighing over 3.5 tonnes without a C1 class liscence.

I have had a look on the DVLA and DSA websites, but it is not very clearly explained, when I have passed my test will I have to take another test to drive a class C1 vehicle or will it be added to my liscence once I am 18?

Cheers if anybody knows, I'm going to check with my driving instructor, but I haven't a lesson for a week and I'm a little confused.

Bob

anyone who got a licence after 1997 need a trailer licence to tow a large trailer (ie caravan) or a twin axle trailer

ie average joe towing a small trailer is legal

but you can't tow a caravan and you can't tow a car trailer (as they are almost all twin axle)

its a complex area of law but getting a trailer licence is now on my too do list