Stirring The 125 Pot

alan bechard

What about the JR(Support Line) and HS(ES Line)? The JR class is ages 10-15 and HS is 10-17. Why can't he ride on of those?

Thats the plan jr this year and hs later if he gets better and it should work unless there is more changes we havent heard about. Alan what have you heard? The Natc site still has 06 rules posted.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not willing to post what I heard, becuase I heard different things, and not sure which are correct. I recieved two very different stories from two guys I respect greatly. I do not want to post incorrect statements as someone will later come up and say... "YOU SAID" yayayayayay

I would hope that the NATC gets thier information put out soon. (I wrote all concerned parties as soon as I had access as well)

The facts need to come from the NATC themselves, but I believe some I know may be effected by this, which is why I put the post to contact the NATC and get the straight scoop directly from them.

Brian Behling's (NATC Prez's) response.

"Alan, there were no changes made to any existing classes, e.g., JR or HS. A 125cc class riding the Expert National Line For youth from 12-17 yrs of age was added that's it, that's all. Info about penalties if someone tries to cheat and increase cc's is forthcoming.

Regards, Brian"

thanks for the info alan, Thats the way i understood it from the begining and i dont fault the one added class something had to be done to satisfy the demand for a 125 class. Seems to me that many wont be satisfied untill we reach the point that everyone under 18 riding a larger bike has to ride sportsman or even worse our goverment tells us that they can only ride 125s. Homer may be the only one a 125 is not practical for. In our area he has 3 choices ride a 125 the same lines as me (weak amatuer) and get bored riding in a parade like enviroment ride , a 125 in the expert lines with the other old men and crash crash crash untill he improves, or ride a 280 in the expert lines with the other old men and only crash crash. Im concerened about the future rules not current rules Seems to me it would be selfish if i advocated that all other youth ride larger than 125s so they would not have an advantage in later years. yet many would like to see larger bikes banned completely. Its not about deciding what your kid rides its about deciding what somebody elses kid rides. Lifes a lot less complicated just riding for fun on the farm i could easily become a recluse like every one else in my area (no club) but id sure miss that friendlness and helpfullness from the trials comunity when we get out. Hoping to make colorado national, possibly tennesee national, whole week at youth nats and would love to do the 7 events in 9 days at donner and new mexico. all those would be a stretch ill have to make some tough choices.

Hens,

It sounds like you believe that riding a 125 would improve your sons riding skill. What area of the country do you live in? And how old is your son? Last year at the youth nationals my son who rode the 9year old line was on a sherco 50. Most of the sections were way to easy for that group. When they did put in a tough section my son was in waaay to big of a hurry. His compettion was better than him and riding on an 80 and a 125 which definately roll over rocks better.

on the last day dan tightened up a rock section and the bigger bikes had problems and aaron could three the section by just pulling the little sherco around. The best rider didn't win that day but the lighter bike did. Next year when he moves up to the 10 yr old line and he is on an 80 he should be crashing all over tennessee. He is tiny for his age.

I will as soon as my son is big enough put him on a 125. Because I think it is more important to learn how to do a particular technique than just be able to keep up. You know "Give a man a fish, Blah Blah...But teach him HOW to fish.

It sounds like you son is already an excellent rider. I agree with you,I don't want someone else telling me what my son has to ride. Although in most other motorsports it is that way. My son is so small for his age he's only now just a little to big for his KTM Pro Sr. He still likes to get his pw50 out and ride it.

Actualy I dont think in his case it would but it might in some cases and maybe in most cases. Hes 12 our goal is to have fun. Once he passed me up he is forced (i should not say forced he likes it) to keep up with the better riders and he thrives on that. Imagine a club with 2 lines novice and expert. You have mastered the novice clean every section now you have to move up to expert on a 125

He is 12 his classes were too easy last year it probly helped him score better because he usually dosent lose his cool. You definatly have to learn tequinique on a 125 but there are other ways shorten it up, tighten it up, ride it in first gear and if your not 100% sure use a spotter and better yet someone besides me who can teach tequinique.

If there comes a day when hes showing up the few local riders then if i can aford it doing it on a 125 might be a smart idea who knows we might switch to a 125 a year or so down the road but it would sure be nice to make that decision myself. I hope in our quest to develop the next US world champ we dont take the fun out of it. In my opinion if we keep it fun it will grow and the logistics and sheer numbers will produce the world champion.

When i went to the world round i was impressed with the foreign youth riders. but i was more impressed with Smage a farm boy with only a barn to ride in in the winter none of the advantages of the freign riders a club in every state or 2 not every county. There are a lot of championions who are never crowned championions but they are still champions in my book.

Smage isnt the only one out there either he is just the one of many i happened to mention

terry

we really enjoyed belle 2 years ago great sections they were twice as long as anwhere weve been was tied up and missed last year didnt know you had 2 events there any chance of a two day there next year if you guys are going out to belle to practice sometime email me we might join you. Park hills is probly 4 hr drive

I don't know about a two day. When we have events that far south we generally only have 6-8 riders show up. We have had the majority of our events in Marion, IL at Little Egypt off road club. They hold vintage events, national hare scrambles and so on. It is a great place to ride. Our website is www.mita-trials.com.

Terry

Mr. Hensley,

You say your worried about Homer competing against the experts on a 125.. trust me it is Great for the kids to learn and perfect the techniques . As far as the 125 being competitive .. dead issue .. look at the euro boys on the green line at the World Round.. Our Number 1 expert was thouroughly spanked by them (sorry Ray).. My son competes in the Pro/Champ class in the STRA, against Bruce Leriche , Chris Florin when he shows.. Will Ibsen.. Etc On a 125... and does very well.. We rode a FTA event last weekend and Chuck.. Tested Ronnie on a few huge hits on the 125.. Ronnie smiled and told him Your turn as he flew by him !!

The 125 develops a great deal of technique and confidence.. once ready when the kids move up to a 250 or 270... IMAGINE the stuff they'll be able to accomplish..

my two cents !

Ron

Edited by Ron

ron

thats great hes an excellent rider and may some day be a national champ. so who will he compete against in the 125 expert at the nationals. How many would he be competing with if he rode the regular expert class I see little wrong with a 125 expert class the natc set up this year.just ope it doesnt go further. If it is okay to ride against bruce and chris who is out there on a big bike that needs to be excluded.

Like i said earlier its about having fun or at least is for us. Weve never ridden a national and plan to next year think it would be fun but it sure seems gets complicated if theres 2 classes for youth and hs or only one class 125 only.

I believe a young rider from colorado may be competing on a (125 Gas Gas) and Karl davis Jr from florida (Beta), Ronnie Commo (Beta), I'm sure Ryan Will find someone as well .. Looking for around 4-6 riders per event ..I like the fact they will be competing on equal hardware and Growing commoradery amongst themselves.. as when and if they go to Europe they Need to travel together to keep expenses under control.. The commoradery is the key and competing on equal equipment..

Forgot to mention Will Ibsen has taught ronnie a fair amount this year in the stra as well ..

Who are the horrible people who are trying to force anyone to ride a 125cc bike? I've never heard of anyone in the US attempting to force anyone or anyone's kids into only riding a 125cc bike before!

In the proposal I sent to the NATC about a 125cc US title, it was far more open in scope than the restrictive program the NATC adopted! My original proposal allowed anyone of any age to compete in the 125cc national Championship. It seems that the NATC has forced us into a very narrow 125cc class if you really look at it honestly.

I believe a young rider from colorado may be competing on a (125 Gas Gas)

Bailey Tucker?

Because I think it is more important to learn how to do a particular technique than just be able to keep up.

:agree: