Scorpa 125 - 150 Or What Ever It Is

jamie stokes

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi im after a scorpa 4 stroke dont care what year it just needs to be chep . what would i expect to pay for one? cheers jamie

ps dont no if this has been coverd before sorry if it has

hi, really you want to get a 07 because you can get a 175. But if you want it cheap go for th 150 :D

• 3 weeks later...

I'm planning to get a trials bike to trail ride and play on in the French Alps where I live. I was going to get a 250+ 2 stroke, thinking all the extra power would make it cruise easier on the road sections and easier jeep tracks that I'll have to ride. But all of the advantages of a 4 stroke and the long-ride kit has got me on to one of these too - even if I have to stump up twice as much dosh for it. But I do worry that a 175 four stroke will be a bit of a dog on the jeep tracks and road. Can anyone tell me what I can expect out of one of these in those conditions? I'm not concerned about the low speed stuff as I know any bike I buy will out perform my ability to ride it.

Hi Greg, i've had the 150 for nearly a year now and at no time have I found it wanting in the trail dep't, just remember that it isn't a WR250. The main thing to consider is the nature of the beast compared to the SY250 the 4ST will almost double your range which would be a major factor when stuck on the Alps, weight wise there's not much in it, power wise well the 250 has more ooomphph!! (duh!!) but for 90% of us mere mortals that dosn't really matter. One major point of the 175 is that the TT125 engine has been around for donkeys years now and spends the majority of its time on the roads commuting, if it was a lemon Yamaha would have discarded it ages ago!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for that. It helps make me think I should just pile in and buy one, although that won't be a 5 minute job as they seem to be quite few and far between. So, in terms of a comfortable speed on the road, can you nip along at say 70 or 80 kmh OK? Or is that revving the nuts off the thing?

Sorry Greg I can't answer that one as here in Aus we can't register a trials bike, also mine has a 10 tooth on the front so it will rev quite high for little high speed gain. For trailling a 11 or even a 12 would be fine and 80kph should be no problem

Greg, I have a 125 4t which I fit with an 11 tooth engine sprocket for observing at the Scottish (using a 10t for trialling).

Last year I followed round on the roads a bit, you can sit at about 45mph ( 70ish kph) no problem without revving the engine too hard. For a 32 mile road journey at more or less a constant 40-45 I only used 1.25 litres of petrol.

A 12 tooth engine sprocket might be better for pure trail riding but I haven't been able to find one yet, and it might make it a bit too quick in bottom gear going through the nadgery.

I reckon the long ride would make an ideal trail/trials bike.

By the way, the '175' has a 143cc motor and the new 'TY200' has a 163cc motor.

I see the Japanese ace Takumi Narita is taking the 160 round the Scottish this year, in 2003 he and Martin Crosswaite were both in the top 30 at the SSDT on the 4t's, Crosser on the 125 and Narita on a 143. You don't get more of a trail/trials/road mix than the SSDT.

• 1 year later...

Spoke to a bloke who did the flywheel mod and reckoned it was as good as a 143 mod making it a bit nippier off the bottom end, but it stalled easier. 143 is expensive for 18cc I think.

Spoke to a bloke who did the flywheel mod and reckoned it was as good as a 143 mod making it a bit nippier off the bottom end, but it stalled easier. 143 is expensive for 18cc I think.

It is actually 20cc (123cc vs 143cc) and it makes a HUGE difference. Not sure I would pay the bucks without going all the way for the 163 though. My 143 was factory, so I can't speak to the kits.