Hi From The Gulf Islands Of Bc Canada

floored

Hello,

After being a rookie on a DRZ400 for close to a year, I picked up a 2004 GasGas TXT 300 Pro (for a good price) in the hope it will help my riding.

I've always had an interest in them, but I didn't take the leap till one of my regular riding partners picked up a 96 Beta 250. Then after I bought mine, another friend bought a 2003 Scorpa 250.

Now the three of us have to figure out how to ride them. Hopefully I survive it.

Anyway, I've got a few questions about the sport, techniques, etc... which is why I've come on here.

Hopefully I can learn something.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there Floored:

Which Island are you from??? I am on the big island here in Shawnigan Lake. We have a club here, the ISTC. Island Sports Trials Club. I am the current President. We currently have a big contingent from Saltspring who ride all our club events over here. I would gladly help you out with any questions you have about the sport, or riding techniques! You can get my email address off here as well!

Cheers, Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the welcome.

My friends and I have already been looking into the ISTC, so I expect you'll be seeing us.

As for the SSI riders, I'm aware they're here, I just don't know them (yet).

Thanks again.

See you sooner or later

- Andrew

apologies for my ignorance, (we dont do geography eg place names etc any more at school in the uk) where on earth are the gulf islands... fantastic to hear that trials are popular all over the world (even in the remotest, I assume, corners)

google earth here i come..

wow i've been (near ) there! South of Vancouver, beautiful spot.

best wishes from the lancs/ yorks border on the Pennines ( not a beautiful spot... wet windy and wet, lots of trials though)

Edited by totalshell

No apologies needed, but if any are due they should be from me as it took a bit of searching to find you.

Near as I've been able to find out, you're between Leeds & Bradford. Most notable for someone like me might be the song that talks of dying from exposure for being without a hat, or that you're not too far from Shipley home of the "Calender Girls". What else can you tell me?

For those like yourself that don't know Salt Spring Island, it is the largest of the Southern Gulf Islands and is a 30 min ferry from Vancouver Island. It is also about another 20 min drive to Victoria (the capital of BC).

SSI is well known for its Lamb and residents Randy Bachman (the band the Guess Who) and Robert Bateman (wildlife artist).

Ilkley is a spa town built first by the romans (olicana) and then the victorians when they went big on the railways, popular with the mill owners of bradford, they built loads of big houses in tree lined roads or groves.

famous as you say for the song ''Ilkley moor baht hat'' famous residents Alan titmarsh, most of the cast of Emmerdale,

now sadly far too expensive to live in as now the centre of the world for retired gentle folk and capital of nursing homes in the UK

decent motor club focus's mainly on cars but has a couple of trials of distinction. The New Years Day trial and most famously the Ilkley Moor Grand National a time and observation trial over 30 miles of grouse moor on what was once the approximate route of the Scott pre war, and actually on the other side of the valley to the real ilkley moor.

best thing about ilkley easy to get out of and its only 9 mile from Silsden capital of the trials universe

'Calender girls' were from a tiny village near skipton again about 9 mile away and was filmed even further away although one scene with some school boys was filmed right on Ilkley moor on the famous cow and calf rocks

wow i should work for the tourist board.. dont go

Edited by totalshell

Totalshell,

We have more in common then we thought.

Since SSI has the most moderate weather in Canada, everyone it seems is trying to retire here. Unfortunately this also includes many Americans running from Bush, so their currency drives up the price of our housing.

With a median age somewhere around 45, it is over 10 yrs older than the rest of our country.

Otherwise, Salt Spring & the rest of the Gulf Islands are considered by many to be paradise. Surrounded by Pacific waters with Orcas, Seals & Salmon, it is an outdoorsperson's playground.

Hi Floored,

Welcome to TC.

I hope you are not another of these wierd Canucks fans like that Fracy bloke, all I ever get from him is abuse cause I support them allegedly "stinkin" Leafs. :banana2:

Anyhow enjoy TC

Slapshot 3

Edited by Slapshot 3

Hi Floored,

Welcome to TC.

I hope you are not another of these wierd Canucks fans like that Fracy bloke, all I ever get from him is abuse cause I support them allegedly "stinkin" Leafs. :banana2::dunce:

Anyhow enjoy TC

Slapshot 3

That's 'cos they are stinkin' Leafs. :D:D

Hi Floored,

Welcome to TC.

I hope you are not another of these wierd Canucks fans like that Fracy bloke, all I ever get from him is abuse cause I support them allegedly "stinkin" Leafs. :banana2::dunce:

Anyhow enjoy TC

Slapshot 3

That's 'cos they are stinkin' Leafs. :D:D

Flippin Eck, they've even got Welsh imports brainwashed, eh... :moon:

Good god, the only thing worse than a Leafs fan, is a Habs fan! :dunce: I can excuse a Scotsman living far away from here to be not too bright when it comes to choosing a favorite team, but as for the rest of you :banana2: .Any way we shall see tonight as the Canucks take on those lowly Habs who are doing OK this year!

By the way floored, there is also a famous artist living on your island by the name of Bob Masse. He is also an avid trials rider who is often on this board, going by the handle of Masso. He has done some cool work over the years, most notibly posters for many big rock bands, the Stones, Bob Dylan etc. He has a website, I will have to remember the address.

Steve

Hello to the guys from BC..!!

So - how is the riding over there?

I tend to spend about half of the year in Whistler, half of the year back home in the UK.

Towards the end of last season - I had a chat with a guy who told me the riding all the way up the sea-2-sky and on the Island was fantastic...

I'm back over in a couple of months - and considering shipping the mont over as excess baggage!!

Think it's worth it?

Cheers,

T2R