Ty250 Mono

garyp

just bought a ty250R mono 78. Looking for some info on oil/petrol mixtures ,tyre pressures and the best way to cleanup a discoloured plastic petrol tank. Also looking for a local club to join + practice grounds in the redditch area. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

Firstly, it won't be a 78, the mono,s were produced between 1983-1992 approximately.

See here for a rough idea

galarie museum

http://www.ataq.qc.ca/galerie/index.php?fo...aha/&page=1

I run mine on good quality synthetic oil at 70:1 without any problems.

I run 7 psi in the front and 4-5 psi in the back. If you're riding on the road you'll need to increase these.

Unfortunately you won't be able to get the tank back to a pure white, it's the petrol/oil mix which has discolours it from the inside out. I've had good results though with cif, hot water and wet and dry. I've tried almost everything else including the dishwasher but this gets the best results.Don't bother painting it either as the tank breathes petrol vapour, and will remove paint in weeks.

Top Farm at Buckland near Broadway have a trials practice area and refreshments available most weekends, they are not too far from you and we run a club trial there in Jun which has four routes, so there should one suitable for you.

I'll pm you off line to give you the tel number.

Pete

Stratford-Upon-Avon Club

just bought a ty250R mono 78. Looking for some info on oil/petrol mixtures ,tyre pressures and the best way to cleanup a discoloured plastic petrol tank. Also looking for a local club to join + practice grounds in the redditch area. Any help would be appreciated.

Run on 50:1 mixture, about 10psi in the front, 4 in the back.

The only way to clean up your tank is to repaint all the plastic, I bought a tin of white bumper paint and it did all of my plastics with about 5 coats, be warned though, it falls off the tank after a few months, because the petrol seep through the plastic, which is why it turns it yellow in the first place! Clean the plastic really well with thinners and mask off any bits you want to keep, like the seat pad or your stickers.

Hope this helps!