Gearbox Overflow Pipe?

superflytx270

Hi all

went out last night for a ride and did this mother hill climb in 4th, (1st time succeeded) the bike chugged its way up and on the home trail she backfired and cut out :huh:

I managed to kick her back into life while freewheeling and gave her some revs to clear her throat and off i went.

While parked up outside the car having a cuppa one of the lads noticed pool of oil on the sumpguard under back brake pedal.

Took the bike home, washed it this morning (too dark to do it last night)

and inspected the area of the leak.

I notice there was an open ended pipe behind the brake pedal and traced it back to the top of the gearbox just behind the carb to head joint thingy (total engine noob can you tell?)

So i was wondering if :

A: what caused the backfire and the bike to cut out and

B: If this pipe is an overflow from the gearbox and is it just the incline of the hill causing the oil to seep out or is it down to a build up of pressure somehow?

it was a very little amount which came out and the sight glass on the side is till showing the correct level.

Any help appreciated

regards

sup

Hi,

My bike ('02TXT) does this all the time ever since a "buddy" flipped it and totalled the rear half of the bike. What it probably is is two stroke oil residue and its showing up because you have a crack in the metal stamped part of the exaust pipe. Nothing to worry about really if the bike runs OK - except the annoying marks on the garage floor. In your case the uphill ride affected the float height relative to the jets and it ran rich - you maybe noticed it smoked a lot more than usual on the climb. The extra fuel has oiled the plug to make it stop running. The residue is now showing up as you also filled the pipe with unburnt two stroke oil..

To confirm - the oil should be black in color if I'm right. If it's clean then I'm wrong.

Edited by gt6racer

Hi thanks for the reply , the oil was clean kinda like new gearbox oil, but seeing as it was such a small amount on the sump guard i guess it wouldnt appear really really black due to the background of the sump guard?

The other thing of course was maybe it was brake fluid? from the reservoir under the seat, anyway its running ok now outside the house i've just gotta clean te plug up before my next ride which i'll then let you know how i go.

just to give you some idea of the climb this pic was taken from half way up :huh:

regards

superfly

post-7-1081193743.jpg

Edited by superflytx270