Ie Wierdness

copemech

Im running IE6 and there are strange things that come up under the address bar that I cannot seem to get rid of as when I start to type an address, the history box opens below with recent history and items stored in favorites that I may select to autofill. But there are other wierd addresses that I cannot get rid ov even after clearing the history, and they are not in favorites. Where do they come from? As some are very undesireable!

And I have tried Spybot, Hijack This and Adaware to combat searchbar hijacks and such to no avail!

Any clues? :hyper:

Dave,

I have done most of that, with the exception of the Blaster thing, I just cannot figure out where autofill is getting the addresses from, as after deleting "history" the only places that normally come up are "favs" and such.

I have tried the Firefox, which seems really neat, but if you leave it running, you stay logged in to everything, and if you kill it , they are gone anyway, so wtf good is that, although I could manage to eat up some of Andy's bandwidth 24/7. So I like the autocomplete, couple of letters and click! It is just full of crap!

My thoughts fwiw.!

Edited by copemech

Did I miss something! all the setting for autocomplete are:

Hi copemech,

Try Tools/internet options/content/auto complete

Hope this helps.

K.

If you delete all the autocomplete data and you are still having problems then you need to look elsewhere. i.e google settings or yahoo settings if you have these things installed on your browser. The autocomplete data is not taken from the history or favs.

At this point, it seem as though I have managed to get rid of the Address(searchbar) redirects using the Spybot, but the autofill is still pulling up web addresses from somewhere that I have not been able to find, and I have deleted the Google and Yahoo toolbar crap the the young'un downloaded.

The autofill is definately pulling from the ie history temp file, the Favs and ,the desktop, but somewhere else as well that I cannot find, and that is the one that is loaded with the (old) redirects! Or so it seems! :hyper:

Edited by copemech

If there are still traces.............run hijackthis and send me the log file.

It shows all the stuff running in the background.

I've used it on many PC'S and have been able to clear all the BS.

Also if you have system restore enabled you can go back before where the young'un downloaded.

Just choke them real hard and they'll tell ya when they loaded that stuff up.

Edited by Dabnabit

ok the next step is to run crapcleaner. I know what you are saying about it being hijacked but I have found that its not always the case always start with the know computer settings. Something else I have learnt is system restore is a pain in the A** on xp anyway turn it off cos its got a habit of restoring the faults after they have been fixed.

Uh, I think it is fixed, downloaded IE7! :hyper:

It seems to have the same "tabs" as Firefox and seems to work the same bloody way!

It would not be so bad if I was one of those types that sat behind a computer all day, but I have 5 at work, depending where I am at, at any given moment, plus three at home. Which makes 7(as I don't mess with the kids untill it crashes). The SHED is the oldest and works best! :D

Edited by copemech