05 280 Gasgas

steviec

Hi

I've recently bought an 05 280 Gasser after 12 months on an 05 250 Beta, I love the bike, especially the engine and the way it rides. What I don't like is parts breaking on me.

I've had the bike 3 weeks and already the kickstart lever has broken and now the bolts in the clutch lever bracket have sheared when I tried to remove them. This is after a number of hours having break free oil sprayed on them.

What I really want to know is, am I just unlucky or are there areas on the Gassers that I need to pay particular attention to?

Hope you can help me

Cheers

Steve

all the bolts are pretty crap on the gassers to be honest as they are all aluminium so they can snap real easy so dont over tighten them but that is about it, oh the footpeg mounts can also snap aswell which is a pain so if they have`nt i would get them welded up and strengthened and also all the exhaust mounts on the middle box do tend to snap but them last two depend on how you ride it to be honest but thats about it really just keep everything running smoothly and all the moving parts greased up and that and the usual maintenance and you should be reet

Ususally aluminium bolts have copper grease on them to stop them siezing.Its good practise to grease bolts up after removal.If they are greased,you shouldnt have any problems.As for the kick start,my friend had a 250 `04 gasser,his kick start wore away right at the bottom where the lever swings out over the bit thats bolted to the shaft(couldnt explain any better),but his bike often kicked back.Maybe this was the cause?