city trials

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I mention in a previous thread that I thought Alexz might do well? :D

Didn't think he would place higher than Jarvis though :wall:

Long way to go.........

p.s. What time does this page get updated normally? http://ssdt.org/sitebody/modules.php?name=Results

Don't think that the scores tell the whole story as there was 3 fives jarvis apparently had that were the sections later cancelled, so not too sure what might have been real totals.

Long,long, long, way to go though.

Edited by Nigel Dabster

Don't think that the scores tell the whole story as there was 3 fives jarvis apparently had that were the sections later cancelled, so not too sure what might have been real totals.

Just to put the rumour mill to rest, only two sections were scrubbed! Jarvis had cleaned one and fived the other - and the section he fived only had about ten riders who had anything less than a 5 on there. You may recommence speculation now! :wall:

HL, I am avidly watching the live results ( which are great by the way :wall: ) and noticed that some of the riders scores reduce after a period. What causes this out of interest please?

HL, I am avidly watching the live results ( which are great by the way :D ) and noticed that some of the riders scores reduce after a period. What causes this out of interest please?

It's when they come up with a tray of drinks. We knock off 10 marks per glass. :wall:

HL, I am avidly watching the live results ( which are great by the way ;) ) and noticed that some of the riders scores reduce after a period. What causes this out of interest please?

It's when they come up with a tray of drinks. We knock off 10 marks per glass. :D

:wall:

The results that you see on the live feed are the results as they are keyed on the system. The live feed refreshes every ten minutes, and whatever exists on the system at that point is transmitted to you at home.

I don't think we ever get an observers book through that's perfect - there's always duplicate / missing numbers that need to be analysed once the scores in the book have been keyed if we're going to be sure that everybody that went through the section has got the right score. Each book takes about ten minutes to key and at least fifteen to analyse, so that's why scores will sometimes change between refreshes online - we're going through and double-checking everything. And before anybody starts having a go at observers for making errors, it's not their fault at all - all it takes is for a rider to have a mucky number plate (very easy in this weather!), fly through the section or for a spectator to distract the observer at a crucial moment and that's it.

However, I'm guessing that what you're talking about relates to the fact that two sections were scrubbed from Monday. The Clerk of the Course took the decision to scrub two dangerous sections on Monday and as a result of that all scores from the section were wiped. Half the field had gone through the sections whilst the other half got to skip them - to make things as fair as possible, all riders who went through the sections were given an extra ten minutes on time to compensate for the fact that they had to take the time to ride the sections whereas other riders didn't. That means that between Monday's results and Tuesday's online feed, some riders who'd ridden these sections had marks knocked off their score.

Hope that explains things a bit better! It's important to remember that the live feed is exactly that - you're seeing what's keyed into the system, and with just short of 50.000 keystrokes a day, there's always going to be some errors to be corrected as the day goes by. Can I go to the bar now? :wall: