'04 315r Cracked Engine Case

ssiegmund

I was going to put the Montesa up for sale because I recently bought a '06 Beta Rev3 250. When getting the Monte ready for sale I discovered a small oil pool on the bike stand, I pulled the skid plate only to find a small hairline crack coming off the top of the 90* corner cast into the case.

When I first bought this bike I installed a new chain, spockets, exhaust gaskets, repacked the silencer, new Dunlops, and a new Montesa rubber case cushion, which required straightening of the heavy aftermarket skid plate for clearance.

Apparently there was still enought pressure on the case to cause a vibration induced stress crack in the engine case, possibly due to a casting flaw since the bike has never landed hard enough on the skid plate to make me even think there was the slightest chance of case damage.

As I see it there are three repair options:

1) New engine case

2) Weld the existing case

3) JB Weld the existing - provided proper preparation and installation techniques are used.

I've heard second hand that the JB Weld does a surprisingly good job but I have no first-hand experience.

Does anyone have first-hand experience with JB Weld repairs of this nature?

• 2 weeks later...