Advice

xxx

I have a friend who just switched from a honda cr85r (yes 85!) to a beta rev 3 125 and he loves it. Me and him ride about 3 times a week and he is enjoying it much more than his MX bike. In my opinion the best bikes are either beta, montesa or scorpa. Beta are known to have excellent reliablity and smooth power delivery (bar the 270) and in my opinion are great for a beginner. I ride a 1999 beta techno 200 and love it. Montesa are also great bikes from what I have heard but the new 4 strokes are expensive so the older montesa 315's may be a better choice. Don't know what they are like to ride. Someone told me the new 315's are a lot more of an experts bike than the older ones. Scorpa are also meant to be excellent for beginners and they do a range of both fourstrokes and twostrokes. The other two big manufacturers are gasgas and sherco. I have ridden a 250 gasgas txt pro and it is the nicest feeling bike I have ever ridden. Really light and probably the easiest to hop. However I have heard loads of reports that gasgas are very unreliable. Sherco are like gasgas in that they are almost as light and almost as nice to ride. They are also marginly more reliable than gasgas but still not up there with beta/scorpa/montesa. I used to own a 2004 sherco 290 but I ended up selling it for my beta as I felt that I could tackle obstacles with much more confidence on the beta and the power was not excessive. Many people probably disagree with me and probably prefer gasgas or sherco and me saying beta/montesa/scorpa are the best bikes may not go down well! I have been riding for 4 years so I have had some experience although I am not a quick learner and I wouldnt be at the level of a lot of the people who use this site. Hope this helps! David :o