Is It Worth The Change This Time?

neo

Hi copemech,

I havn't taken the Dellorto apart (no need) so I guess it's just standard Aussie jetting.

I've tried 95 and 98 octane...but little diffrence between the two. Although no smoke with the 98. And little-to-no smoke with 95.

What do you think?

Best of balance.

Neo

Neo,

In my humble opinion, a good working dellorto is less finicky, unless you just have to have more power, mainly on top but throughout the range.

Jetting is somewhat critical for smoothest operation ov this less precise metering device, though!

I did a post on this a while back that you may want to find and consider.

The jetting on a 2.5 vs 2.9 really does not seem to vary. What varys seems to be the individual carbs or bikes! I ran a #33 pilot in the '05 250, #36 did fine in the '06 2.9, but the #35 seems to work well, if slightly lean, in the '07 2.9, but very smooth along with the Boyesens.

RYP recommends the #38 pilot in the later bikes last I heard, which works fine, but a bit leaner gives smoother power and a better transition to the needle at around 1/8 throttle, just beyond the fuel screw's range. No FAT blubbery spot!

For the Pro riders, they just blow right through the range mostly and never care, they just want POWER! Myself, I prefer a little smoother and more predictable power!

My '07 had a #30 installed from the factory and was soo lethargic it would not lift the front if you wicked the throttle!

Fact is, a 2.9 of later generation can be tamed quite nicely, as they are smoother to begin with, but the 2.5 is still my personal fav. I do not weigh a lot though, and that makes a difference. But there were few 2.5's here to be had at the time, so! A 2.9 is only roughly 10% actual larger displacement at 272cc or whatever! We were riding some large granite a couple weeks ago, similar to the avitar piccie. That is when a 2.9 shines! Scared the s%&t out of me though! :(

Thanks copemech,

I think you just saved me a bucket of work this (wet and windy) weekend. :thumbup:

As you know, I had a 290. But I really love the 250. As I'm a lightwieght too. :thumbup:

Best of balance.

Neo

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry copemech,

I've been away on a business trip and didn't fit the #36 Pilot until Friday last, at night.

So come Saturday morning she started OK (2nd kick) from stone cold. And Riding

Neo,

I can only suppose you were able to blow out the choke jet passage(the one with the little o-ring that goes to the bottom of the bowl) and there is no settled water that may obstruct it. You may be surprised just how much condensation can develop in the tank and find its way into the bowl!

Other than that, a fresh plug, BP5es at about .023 in, freshness of fuel? These are just things to be sure of. Normally they light off in 2-3 kicks from cold using the choke and in average temps!

I can only suppose as well it did better when taken off the choke after starting??? :wub:

Edited by copemech

This is driving me nuts now......it's getting quite bad again.....especially cold.

I can't see it only being the choke jet passage. Because it affected the bike warm too.

I

Neo,

Not sure exactly what you DID based upon the prev. post, but water entry can cause a floaty idle as well!

Loosen the main jet holder only slightly with the 14mm spanner so you do not have to wrestle with it with the carb off the bike.

Pull the carby back off and dump everything into a Pyrex dish( mums glass bowl) to collect it all to see what comes out! Let it settle!

You may be surprised at what you find, maybe not!

In liew of something more serious such as an intake leak or a sucking crank seal, it is best to insure you have covered the fundamentals well and not take ANYTHING for granted! It will screw you every time! Did you check the inlet screen on the carb?

Otherwise you may need real HELP! Sush as another carby or something! :thumbup:

Edited by copemech