Is It Worth The Change This Time?

neo

Ok,

Cleaned the carb out again and changed the plug again. :thumbup:

With warm staring the problem is almost gone now. But cold starting is still a pig. (6 to 8 kicks)

Any tips on cold starting??

Best of balance.

Neo

Edited by Neo

Neo,

One problem with the Dellorto, is the O-Ring on the end of the choke tube. Where it engages in the float bowl is usually very sharp, and cuts the O-Ring, causing various low speed mixture problems,

Get a twist drill and chamfer the edge of the hole in the float bowl, a tiny bit of rubber grease helps it slide in easier. Replace the O-Ring, then you have a stable base line to start tuning from. But pay close attention to it every time you take the bowl off.

KeiHins never have this problem, I know what I`d rather be tuning !!!!!!!!!!!

ShercoH

Just how "COLD" is cold?

You did not say if you found any water in it!

About 5 to 10 degrees....not that cold really.

Forgot to check for water. B) ... I was rushing because I was working in the cold!! :lol:

But I think this is unlikely......I very rarely ride in the wet and the bike never gets damp in my garage.

One problem with the Dellorto, is the O-Ring on the end of the choke tube.

KeiHins never have this problem, I know what I

Neo,

Water can accumulate as a result of condensation in both your fuel tank and carry can!

I have found that many times if the temps are in that range it may require several kicks from cold. Below about 5c, I nonmally tip the bike ALL the way over to the left horizontal for a second or two. This spills a bit of fuel directly into the carby to help prime a cold start! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up adjusting the mixture screw, just half a turn, and she reved out fine after that.

But I'm getting the odd... drip,drip,drip... for the overflow under the bowl. just evey now and then.

So I've checked the float height and even adjusted it for a lower fuel level. And I made sure the PWK is as upright as possible, but I'm still getting that drip,drip,drip..

Anyone have any ideas why??

Best of balance.

Neo

Not sure how the ones like Addict's are set from the factory, but I always did run that lower tube back up and over the intake then down so the fuel that sloshes out the overflow does not necessarily get out, yet will accmulate in the tube and just run back in.

Cant do that with the bowl vent tubes(sides) as these must breathe freely. However you can run them up an back down similar to the Beta Mikuni fix and T them together, principal is the same. This was a problem with mine early on as due to the proximity to the exhaust, the tube would pinch off, neccessitating drilling out the bowl vent casting on the left side of the unit to insure good atmospheric equalization of the bowl so fuel can flow properly "uphill" as it is drawn through the jets by venturi effect only. It is all pressure differential that makes them work.

Hopefully all this makes sense. You do not Have to have tubes on the bowl vents AT ALL, yet I have tended to prefer short tubes pointed downward just to prevent dirt and water entry. No fuel may accumulate in them as these things have to BREATHE, and otherwise tend to accmulate dirt and dust directly on the carb body itself which can easily be sucked or blown in, specially when cleaning the bike, leading to even more running problems once the water and dirt entry has occured. The Dellorto has an advantage on this with the 90 degree outlets.

Bottom line, I am lazy, and do not want to have to tear down my carb every couple rides to clean them due to crap entering through the vents, and long tubes trap fuel, With Exception of the overflow tube on the "K" in which it is intended!

Hope that helps, :blink:

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update guys.

Neo, the float shut off needle is worn,dirty or f****d, its not shutting the fuel off to the carb. Check it with the carb off the bike and the float bowl off

Addict.....turns out you were spot on....many thanks for leading me to the solution. It's odd. but the old shut off needle was not marked in any way. But a new one proved the point :)

Not sure how the ones like Addict's are set from the factory, but I always did run that lower tube back up and over the intake then down so the fuel that sloshes out the overflow does not necessarily get out, yet will accmulate in the tube and just run back in.

Cant do that with the bowl vent tubes(sides) as these must breathe freely. However you can run them up an back down similar to the Beta Mikuni fix and T them together, principal is the same. This was a problem with mine early on as due to the proximity to the exhaust, the tube would pinch off, neccessitating drilling out the bowl vent casting on the left side of the unit to insure good atmospheric equalization of the bowl so fuel can flow properly "uphill" as it is drawn through the jets by venturi effect only. It is all pressure differential that makes them work.

Copemech. I found one big disadvantag to doing this. With a leaking shut off needle and the bowl vent tube set higher than the float bowl. Petrol can rise up and poor stright into the engine and filter box. I lost 3 tanks of petrol before I finally worked out what the hell was happening to all my fuel :)

Thanks guys. I learnt a lot with this one :(

Best of balance.

Neo