Gasgas Txt Boy 50 Tips?

linfo2

Just bought my lad an unused 2005 Gasgas Boy TXT 50 (with the later 2006 trouble free generator/engine fitted). He has had a year racing a KTM 50 Auto but now wants a go at trials riding. Having a manual, yet automatic clutch confuses me! And riding it slow seems to require continual opening and shutting the throttle to move forward. And is the clutch lever simply for lifting the front wheel when the revs are up and the centrifugal clutch already engaged? Can anyone with good experience of this bike suggest the best way of riding it, or/and and modifications that are worthwhile making? Any help at all would be very much apreciated. Even bought myself a 2004 Beta Rev3 250 to go and play with him. Last trials bike I rode was about 35 years ago and it was a yellow 250 Yamaha Majesty!My how things have changed!

Edited by linfo2

My lad has been riding one for about 12 months now and they are certainly different to ride than fully geared bikes.

We found the stock gearing was a bit high so geared it down by putting a LARGEr rear sprocket on (almost as big as the rear wheel!!) and this has helped, (A 60 tooth one I ordered directly from Talon, also needed a longer chain)

Slow speed riding is still a bit of an art though!

The older bikes seem to be a lot softer in terms of throttle response and dont seem to need the constant on/off that the 2006 bike does.

As with most things time on the bike will help the most.

Have fun!

Hi there.

Several of the lads now in their last year of C class rode these little beauties a few years ago.

Sprocket change makes a big difference.

We found the throttle lag a real pain. Our cure was to wind up the tickover until you had to use the brakes to stop the bike from going forward. Worked a treat.

Clutch very usefull for rock steps and the like when a quick launch was needed. Kept ours as an auto, no disadvantage.

Great bikes when they work !!!

Good luck.

Mike