Pedal Trial Bike

dfwilson

I would like to buy a trials bicycle. Does anyone know of any bike shops in Amarillo, Albuquerque, or Denver who have them on the floor. I have found only online stores WebCyclery and Midwest bike trials . I would like to "sit" on one before I fork over $1,450. I am reluctant to buy one sight unseen. Advice on which bike would be best for a fat old man would be appreciated.

Thanks

Doug

Not an answer to your question but Tim at Trialsin USA has always been very helpful for me.

www.trialsin.com

If you are looking for a 26 Brian Robison just posted Jordan's on the STRA site. Might let you get the feel of things for a little less money while still getting a good bike.

There are a couple of bicycle trials forums as well, I cannot remember them at the moment, but maybe they could link you too someone in your area to get a feel for the bikes as well before commiting.

Good luck.

We met these guys at a trials demo we did a few weeks ago, they are just finishing the testing on a new bike they will be selling. Check out the Orillia demo...Meta Bike Impressive when he jumped off the flat bed, onto the top of the outrigger post then to the car hood, then the ground...not much margin for error landing on that 4"x4" post!

Edited by Bob Abell

Alan,

The Onza T-Rex looks like a Dirt Jumper configured for trails. What year is yours? Do you think it would hold up under my 1/8 ton bulk? Tim at Trialsin USA has a large selection of beautiful bikes. I had not realized just how much money you could spend on a trials bicycle.

Brian,

Thanks for the web links.

Bob,

Thanks for the link.

Did they say when they would have the bikes for sale and how much they would be?

Looks like finding a bike in a shop will require a great deal of travel.

Hi Doug,

It's my son's bike. It's not a reconfigured jump bike.

It's a pretty well built bike. I haven't ridden it much but

I bet I weigh more than you! :lol:

It's probably a couple years old with a bunch of new stuff on it.

Bob,

Thanks for the link.

Did they say when they would have the bikes for sale and how much they would be?

Looks like finding a bike in a shop will require a great deal of travel.

They said end of June, also they would be selling the complete bike, not just frameset as shown on the website.

Specs and price now on the website, $1598 Cdn.

26" VTT Trials

Edited by Bob Abell

I don't have a bike.

Heck, at my size, I get beside one and spokes start bending :lol:

It is impressive what they do stand up too though. Watched a guy do a 12' drop I think it was at the indoor event (he was on a bicycle, during intermission) I can't imagine doing it on a bike, much less bicycle.

I will say, they will really work you though if you ride much at all. Every now and then I get the urge and ride Dean's Monty, Takes about 2 minutes of hopping to remind me how out of shape I am...

I don't have a bike.

Heck, at my size, I get beside one and spokes start bending :lol:

It is impressive what they do stand up too though. Watched a guy do a 12' drop I think it was at the indoor event (he was on a bicycle, during intermission) I can't imagine doing it on a bike, much less bicycle.

I will say, they will really work you though if you ride much at all. Every now and then I get the urge and ride Dean's Monty, Takes about 2 minutes of hopping to remind me how out of shape I am...

Seems like I was not paying much attention when I answered your post. May have had something to do with Makers Mark and soda.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Doug,

You may want to save your money and start bike trials on a converted Mountain Bike. If you want a bike for your self start on a 26" MTB, I'll be glad to advise what parts you need to keep it cheap, I'm sure there is many people here that will chime in also!

Just learning the fundamentals in bike trials is a challenge, using a stock MTB you can even reach the stage of rear wheel hopping and doing rear wheel drops. Specific Stock trials bicycles is going to cost you between 1200.00 and 1800.00 new, maybe half that used. My level of bike trials is between Novice and Sport, so I'm no Expert, but have seen some really good bike trials riders on stock MTB's.

sam

Doug,

You may want to save your money and start bike trials on a converted Mountain Bike. If you want a bike for your self start on a 26" MTB, I'll be glad to advise what parts you need to keep it cheap, I'm sure there is many people here that will chime in also!

Just learning the fundamentals in bike trials is a challenge, using a stock MTB you can even reach the stage of rear wheel hopping and doing rear wheel drops. Specific Stock trials bicycles is going to cost you between 1200.00 and 1800.00 new, maybe half that used. My level of bike trials is between Novice and Sport, so I'm no Expert, but have seen some really good bike trials riders on stock MTB's.

sam

Sounds like a good idea. I have several old mountain bikes. A Bridgestone MB1 and a MB4 not sure either of these could be reconfigured to trials as they both have horizontal not sloped top tubes. I am thinking that a specialized P1 would work if I replaced the Marzocchi with a standard front fork. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Doug

Doug,

The P1 would work great, I would shop at Nashbar bike or Performance bike online and find some really wide bars at the lowest price. A short goose neck thats tall would be desirable, also I like ridgid forks, but I've seen great moves made with suspension forks. Take off the big chain ring and replace it with a middle chain ring gaurd for slamming logs.

As you progress, later on use a more abusive rear wheel, Sun Rims, Rhyno Lites are cheap and could be used. Big tires are nice, be carefull too big of tire on narrow rim will fold at low pressure.

I'm only thinking little expense here starting out, I'm 39.9 years old and weigh 190 and suffer from baldness, please take my advise with a grain of salt!

Sherco sam

I think Sams advice is good. I have ridden a MOD trials bike and man it was tough...to the point of no fun. The P1 is not a bad idea...little heavy but it not a bad bike for the budget.

Stock trials bikes are a lot more fun. Riding them in general is a lot easier.

I ride a custom bike...well kind of. Its a British made 24" DMR equipt for trials. Rigid fork,disc brakes front,Magura Hydraulic Grippers rear, its a nice spot in between mod and stock. I think this is where your P1 would fit. You'd be happy I think...It would be more multi purpose with a few component change outs.

I actually have had a couple trials bikes, the first a Echo Pure long frame, bought as a complete bike from Webcyclery. Then I bought a BT 5.0 from Poland and now I have a BT 6.0 Raven. But now I would like a BT 7.0 because this new frame has horizontal drop outs, direct drive!

Something to keep in mind is brakes, I've had Hydraulic brakes and they are a pain in the toot! Both magura's and Hydro disk. I'm very happy now with V-brakes in the back and Advid mechanical disk in the front!

I like Stock over mod, but if could afford it I would own a Mod long.

I'm saving for a uni-cycle, I would like to ride a uni-cycle and play my claw hammer banjo, thinking of joining a circus! :D