Ty125 Info Needed

fordson major

A few years ago I bought a TY125 to learn how to ride and as I've got new bikes it's just been pushed to the back of the shed. However, I dug it out today and am curious ...

• What year the bike is?
  • How common are they?
  • What colour/decals they should have for their year?
  • Is the bike mechanically the same as the TY250 except for the barrel?
  • Are all TY125's gutless or is it just mine?

The bike is tatty and mechanically not brilliant. The tatty bit is mainly down to me falling off it all the time when learning to ride but it's partly down to a previous owner thinking it'd be a good idea to paint the bike white (badly, you can see yellow coming through) to cover up what I imagine is the original yellow (to make it look newer?). Mechanically; the engine's gutless, 3rd gear can't be selected, the rear shocks nearly bottom out when I sit on it (I'm not that fat, honest :lol: ) and do bottom out if you ride off something massive like a kerb and the forks aren't much better. I'm planning to buy a workshop manual off ebay to try and find out what's causing the gearbox problem cos getting that sorted is my main priority and then I might get stiffer shocks and higher weight oil/springs for the forks.

The bike has an ignition key, or rather had an ignition key till I lost it:dunce: Can new ignition barrels be bought and are these a common feature on TY's or give a clue to the year?

I havent' seen many TY 125's around so I don't know whether they are rare or just unpopular.

All help appreciated,

Rob

post-1589-1184685060.jpg

Edited by Beta120690

First thing is do a search on this forum for 125/175 you will find loads of info. There was a link to a 175 manual posted on here recently that will help you.

The 127/175 are indentical apart from barrel, piston head and some parts of the carb (float bowl is different and the jetting) the only parts interchangable with the 250 are handlebars, levers and tyres

There are a few more differences than just the barrell,125's had a road kit fitted ie battery,flashers, ignition key,the silencer was a lot bigger it had road gearing .Alot of 125's had a 175 barrell fitted as the 125 is a bit flat .put trials gearing on it and it will feel a bit better.

First thing is do a search on this forum for 125/175 you will find loads of info. There was a link to a 175 manual posted on here recently that will help you.

The 127/175 are indentical apart from barrel, piston head and some parts of the carb (float bowl is different and the jetting) the only parts interchangable with the 250 are handlebars, levers and tyres

I've heard that swapping the entire forks from a 250 to a 175 is the "thing to do".

I've heard that swapping the entire forks from a 250 to a 175 is the "thing to do".

Yes they can be swapped, but they arent the same parts, you need the yolks as well, and i think you also have to do a mod with the wheel spacer.

• 16 years later...