New Gasser For Me

zippy

I have been corrupted by my buddy Biff. I am thinking that my next bike will be a gas gas 300 pro.

Now if I were to convince my lovely and understanding wife to allow me to purchase said bike, what year would be a solid, good performing, well balanced, reliable, near industructable (yep I know no bike is) machine???

Oh I forgot to mention that I am cheap.... I mean frugal minded.

Thanks

Edited by ZIPPY

The `04 was the first year the pro was `good`. So being quality minded(not cheap). That would be the best year to start looking at. Good luck! I`ve enjoyed many a ride on the 300, but the `06 and 07 are quite a nice improvement. (but not as cheap)

I got a schwell deal on an '07 for $5699. A number of the used bikes I was looking at weren't all that much less expensive, well, a couple of grand less, but then again they're used.

Tomorrow will be my first real ride other than putting around the yard, but so far I'm happy with the bike.

I recently got an 05 raga. Be sure to listen hard to the engine when idling and when stressed clutch in/out etc. Mine needed a new clutch cage as it was pretty noisy. Purrs like a pussy (cat) now :lol:

How much money do you have to spend?

AtomAnt Posted Today, 02:13 AM

At the moment none. But if and that is a big if, I am able to buy a new to me bike probably no more than $3000 U.S. (and that may be a stretch I will probably ride my 2000 sherco 2.9 until trials is run on hoverbikes)

I guess I am not looking for "cheap" but the "best bang for the buck" and the bucks are lower than purchasing new.

Sounds like an 04 onwards would be the best bet.

Thanks gentlemen

and if there is any more info on what to look for please post.

Atomant,

How hard does a person have to ride a bike in order to muck up the clutch cage on that new of a bike? What level did they ride at?

At the moment none. But if and that is a big if, I am able to buy a new to me bike probably no more than $3000 U.S. (and that may be a stretch I will probably ride my 2000 sherco 2.9 until trials is run on hoverbikes)

I guess I am not looking for "cheap" but the "best bang for the buck" and the bucks are lower than purchasing new.

Thanks gentlemen

Atomant,

How hard does a person have to ride a bike in order to muck up the clutch cage on that new of a bike? What level did they ride at?

I know of another 05 Raga that needed one changed as well. Both have been well ridden I would say. One level expert and I don't know what level you would put Spud at!! probably Beginner :lol:

Zipper,

There is a local that may still have a "05 280 in your range. Well ridden but ok I think!

One of the local SR riders here got off the 300 and back to the 280, just too much!

Personally, a 200 would be good if you can't find a good 250 Sherco!

Just FYI as I try to stay out ou the gasser stuf!

Thanks gentlemen

Atomant,

I know of another 05 Raga that needed one changed as well. Both have been well ridden I would say. One level expert and I don't know what level you would put Spud at!! probably Beginner :lol:

Funny that when i see the title of this thread on the front page of TC i knew Mr Ant would be giving me a mention. Not that he's not allowed to he does own my old Gas Gas. So, yes I am novice rider and don't mind being called a beginner or novice from anyone who is better than me and thats 99.9% of the trials community. The other 00.1% is where Mr Ant is placed due to his lacking ride at said event below. With this in mind this makes Mr Ant, An Over 40 Wobbler Who Lost The Bet. B)

If/when i buy another Gas Gas and if its second hand I'd consider any bike which sounds 'good' and 'rides well'. The year of the bike would not be an issue for me but the 2001/2 bikes would have to be very good for me buy one of them.

if your money can stretch to it the 05 is a nice looking bike and it was the year that sculptured gas gases success so therefore if you budget will stretch it an 05 is a best bet. I know someone with an 03....dont go there

Muahahahahahah another one being converted to the gasgas relm.

It starts out with a "Hey zippy try my bike up that hill" then a follow up with a "Damn-It! I could get used to that!"

Good practice yesterday zippy. I feel pretty good today and no major broken parts. Stupid carbon kevlar fender....

--Biff

Yep good day yesturday!!

I gotta get some video of us to show the misses. So she can swoon and say "You are so good what a great rider you are!"

Oh wait this is my wife I am talking about, she gonna say "You did THAT!! You are never going riding again, I am not taking you to the hospital...again."

Actually she is very supportive, let's me ride and makes sure I get the parts I need. A new bike mmmmmm......probably not for a while.

But as for the 300 gasser, Biff's is an 04 and it has tons of grunt down low, more than my sherco. I also like that if I twist the throttle it GOES, also to do the splatter box (approx 4 ft right Biff?) it don't take as much throttle. I noticed the throttle response is basically instant. The 300 seems to "fit" my riding "style" (yea like I got any style). I am more of a "stop and go" type rider, not a constant motion smooth rider.

Thanks everyone for your input, If I am able to get a new bike I will be looking at an 04 or newer. I really like the look of the 07. I don't need a Raga rep I ain't that good. You should see me try a 125cc that was pathetic eh Biff? :lol:

I think a 200 would not fit for Zippy, knowing him and his riding style. Besides that they are pretty hard to find, I tried to get one and did not find any for myself (now I'm with a 250).

But Zippy, we will work on your wife to get you a newer bike. Or if people talk you into an 05, then just wait another 2 years and they'll be affordable! :rolleyes:

But yeah, we definitively need a camera in the right spot, I'd still like to see myself on that log the 2nd time (I seperated quite spectacular from my bike yesterday), not only Zippy with the 125!

Biff, you will only get me talked into GasGas if you can proove they come with an easy-button (that everything huge and scary looks like it is as easy as a turn, that I'm not too scared... :rolleyes: ) :D So I'm always happy riding- until something comes up that scares me so I won't even try it, rather find a more difficult way around it... I'm riding like a girl! :rolleyes::rotfl:

But you guys did awesome splatters!!!

Hey Fanticmatze,

If riding like a girl means making those ultra smooth turns on the hill side than I need to learn how "to ride like a girl"

We can get an "easy button" from Staples and zip tie it to the handlebars. only$5.99. :rolleyes:

If you need a catcher I can return the favor and thanks again for keeping my Sherco from squishing me. :rolleyes:

yep the 2 more years wait does sound more like a reality than anything sooner. I was just trying to gather info. (and got some good stuff)