6'6" On A Beta Alp?

cg125

I'm thinking about getting something for some LDTs and a bit of green laning (and quite possibly entering a Hare and Hounds as some sort of moving roadblock!), and was thinking about a Beta Alp. I like the e-start too!

I've never tried one for size though. Is it a practical proposition?

Other possibilities on my list at the moment are XR250 or possibly DRZ400, but I'm open to other suggestions.

What do you reckon?

Which do you think you will do the most? LDT's or enduros?

The Beta Alp is one of the most competitive machines for LDT's along with Pampera's and Serrows. It's not so good at enduro's.

On the other hand; Honda XR's and Suzuki DRZ's are good clubmen mounts for enduros, but not competitive in LDT's.

I ride my DRZ400 in LDT's ok, but it's a bit of a handful in the tighter stuff.

I haven't tried either LDT's or enduros but I fancy having a bash. I don't really have any idea how many of each I would do. There seem to be more enduro type events around though.

I think my riding ability is likely to be the biggest limiting factor in any discipline. I'd like to finish, but that's about the height of my ambition for now.

A DRZ was at the top of my list for a while, but I think I'd prefer to go for versatilty rather than speed. Ideally I'd like one road legal bike that I could use for a bit of green laning, easy trialing, LDTs and the odd enduro. How would an Alp compare with a twin shock for regular trials?

And back to the original question, could I ride one without my kees up by my chin? Or is it a lost cause?

Ta!

The beauty of a DRZ compared to an XR is that it's electric start. That's the reason I went of the Suzuki.

The Alp would be fine for a 6ft+ rider in LDT's as you spend a lot of time standing up like a trials bike. It would feel a bit more cramped in an enduro where you sit down a lot more. I guess the thing to do is have a sit on one and see how it feels.

I would VERY highly recomend a Yamaha serow xt225. They are just brilliant. I passed my driving test earlier this month and have started riding it on the road but ive had it since i was 15. I've used it for a lot of offroad stuff and it is so capable. It has enough power for most things, is light enough and is very easy to handle. My dad has one too and we just spent a 3 days trail riding in cumbria on TRF routes and neither of us had any troubles, both bikes are 1990. Bits are readily available and not dear. I am 6'1" and weigh 15 stone, and the bike is fine for my size. My dad's mate had the alp 200 with the suzuki engine and the serow is MUCH nicer. Better to ride and probably better made. Once again, highly recomended!

I would VERY highly recomend a Yamaha serow xt225. They are just brilliant. I passed my driving test earlier this month and have started riding it on the road but ive had it since i was 15. I've used it for a lot of offroad stuff and it is so capable. It has enough power for most things, is light enough and is very easy to handle. My dad has one too and we just spent a 3 days trail riding in cumbria on TRF routes and neither of us had any troubles, both bikes are 1990. Bits are readily available and not dear. I am 6'1" and weigh 15 stone, and the bike is fine for my size. My dad's mate had the alp 200 with the suzuki engine and the serow is MUCH nicer. Better to ride and probably better made. Once again, highly recomended!

Serrows are very good LDT bikes, just check out on which year they changed the swinging arm to take a 400x18 rear tyre!

I would VERY highly recomend a Yamaha serow xt225. They are just brilliant. . . . I am 6'1" and weigh 15 stone, and the bike is fine for my size.
I must admit that I had discounted the Serow as they are always being touted as great trail bikes for small people!

I think I've decided that I'm looking for a tall, 4-stroke 250 enduro bike with e-start [1]. It won't be ideal for LDTs, but it will be good enough.

[1] But who knows what I'll end up with! :blink:

Mine is a 1990 and takes a 120 (4.00) conti trail tyre. I had a 130 michelin enduro knobly on it and it fitted apart from a tiny bit on the chain guard but i chopped the edges of the knobbles off one side :blink:!