Carb Probs....still!

gaz

dont know if any regulars remember, but i posted a problem i was having with my (04) 290. the revs were, to want of a btter word, gulping. in idle it wasnt holding a steady constant rpm. also when throttle was applied and released it was very slow to lose the revs.

checked my carb and the gaskets looked battered. iv changed all the gaskets and cleaned the jets but still no great improvement. im not gonna rule out me not being able to set the idle and mix screws up properly. so.......

what the best way to set the mix and idle screws up AND what other possibilities could make the bike run like this? I have also given the airbox a dam ggod clean out and tried to check the carb to cylinder inlet hose for any splits.

any info is gratefully appreciated as im desperate to get back out on the bike! :blink:

Edited by gaz

dont know if any regulars remember, but i posted a problem i was having with my (04) 290. the revs were, to want of a btter word, gulping. in idle it wasnt holding a steady constant rpm. also when throttle was applied and released it was very slow to lose the revs.

checked my carb and the gaskets looked battered. iv changed all the gaskets and cleaned the jets but still no great improvement. im not gonna rule out me not being able to set the idle and mix screws up properly. so.......

what the best way to set the mix and idle screws up AND what other possibilities could make the bike run like this? I have also given the airbox a dam ggod clean out and tried to check the carb to cylinder inlet hose for any splits.

any info is gratefully appreciated as im desperate to get back out on the bike! :blink:

I don't know if it's the same thing but I had problems with my 05 290 intermittently running very low at low revs. It went for ages, constantly stripping the carb down, replaced all of the gaskets and seals in the carb, reed valves, rubbers etc.

At the end of the day it was the crankshaft oil seals. The bike hadn't done a lot of work but the play in the main bearings caused the oil seals to wear letting in too much air therefore running lean. Apparently Shercos have poor quality main bearings. Hope you find an easier fix but thats what cured mine.

Edited by scraggydog64

Honestly Gaz,

I sent my PM to you before scraggydog64 sreply was posted??!!

It reads like a carbon copy.

I think this could be the answer?

I don't know if it's the same thing but I had problems with my 05 290 intermittently running very low at low revs. It went for ages, constantly stripping the carb down, replaced all of the gaskets and seals in the carb, reed valves, rubbers etc.

At the end of the day it was the crankshaft oil seals. The bike hadn't done a lot of work but the play in the main bearings caused the oil seals to wear letting in too much air therefore running lean. Apparently Shercos have poor quality main bearings. Hope you find an easier fix but thats what cured mine.

okey dokey then, that sounds like a plan scraggy. is there anything i need to watch out for while im doin it?

Sorry for the delay in replying. Tips I learned the hard way.

Buy as much as you can from a bearing factor as it's loads cheaper. I only got the mains and seals but I am sure you can get the water pump bearings and seals from there.

The Ryan Young manuals on the Sherco USA website are brilliant step by step instructions.

Before you remove the engine from the frame remove the clutch and water pump side crankshaft end bolt. You will be able to this using a fly wheel holding tool. You will need to make a fly wheel holding tool and need a flywheel puller. Trialsbits are very reasonable for a puller. I don't know the exact size off the top of my head but I could measure mine if you want. Let me know.