The Sport Of Trials

ishy

Manufacturers championship, would give a true idea of what bike the top riders thought was best for the job if they all had to ride stock bikes.

Now! some are lot closer to stock than others, but I do think the best rider would earn the most prize money, and the best bike would probably earn the manufacturers championship.

Good ride by Shaun this weekend, how close would his bike be to stock compared to James's ?

Or Grimbo's for that matter, is his 3.2 some high $$$$$$$ factory special, or a self prepered stock bike?.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manufacturers championship, would give a true idea of what bike the top riders thought was best for the job if they all had to ride stock bikes.

Now! some are lot closer to stock than others, but I do think the best rider would earn the most prize money, and the best bike would probably earn the manufacturers championship.

Good ride by Shaun this weekend, how close would his bike be to stock compared to James's ?

Or Grimbo's for that matter, is his 3.2 some high $$$$$$$ factory special, or a self prepered stock bike?.

How well the world riders do on bikes doesn't really help me pick a bike at all, whether they're riding stock bikes or one-offs. If anything, I'd figure that a bike was optimized for their skills levels would be wholly inappropriate for a mid-level slogger like me.

How well the world riders do on bikes doesn't really help me pick a bike at all, whether they're riding stock bikes or one-offs. If anything, I'd figure that a bike was optimized for their skills levels would be wholly inappropriate for a mid-level slogger like me.

Shauns is stock, grimbos has a paxau engine I think,then stock.

Now, it's not to brag, but with the available space that we have here in the states, and the popularity of bmx trick riding and urban affluence, I think that the sport could be on the brink of an explosion here. I'm not sure what the catalyst will be, but I was quite pleased to see so many people who were not technically "enthusiasts" at the world round at Sequatchee Tennessee last year. True, participation in the smaller events, like the STRA event that I attended earlier this year is not overwhelming, but the sport appears to have an incredible amount of potential.

Admit it, Jimbo, you stole these sentences from the many articles on trials in US magazines in the early 1970s.

To me, trials in the US had its chance in the 1970s. There were four Japanese manufacturers, three Spanish and a few from the UK. The public's response was a collective yawn.

Yamaha tried again in the 1980s with the TY350. Many were left languishing on showroom floors, even as they made up the majority of local event entries.

I love trials, but I also realize that (at least to Americans) it is a strange sport with a strange concept. We ride motorcycles but don't go fast or jump high? You're penalized for putting your foot down? Huh??? :D

I can neither confirm nor deny the possible influence "historical trials" periodicals may have had on my statements. :D Truth is, I was a wee nipper in the early 70's and from what I remember, the only thing most people were expanding was thier drug consumption, ...er...strike that, I meant to say, "consciousness". I've heard it said that the hey day of motorcycling culminated in the "Any given Sunday" era...God Forbid. I really appreciate and enjoy "vintage" motorcycles and thier history, but I can only hope the best is yet to come.

......happy trials.....

Edited by Jimbo