Tyz Problems

tdm900

After last Sunday's trial I brought the bike home and washed with hosepipe as usual.

Went to try and start as I usually do to dry things off and it and it just wouldn't.

So I tried the standard cure of spraying everything with WD40 but to no avail. Then I noticed I'd transported it home with the fuel on. So I decided to leave it a couple of days to dry out internaly, just in case I had flooded it.

Fast forward to Friday, took the plug out. black and wet, that's the problem then. Dried the plug out on the gas hob, checked for a spark, not brilliant but I thought it would do.

No way. all it would do is backfire and scare the **** out of the dog !!

Then noticed carb was flooding a bit, so took that off, gave it a dam good clean, float working well after reassembly, tried again, still won't start, I'm starting to get p****d off.

So today, took carb off again, good clean, reassembled and installed, bought new plug (spark looked weaker if anything) still won't start, Checked wiring. disconnected kill switch, reinstalled ht cap with silicone grease. cleaned earth point on ht coil. even took sumpgaurd and flywheel cover off to check for any evidence of rotor displacement (none apparent), guess what, still won't start, still backfiring though.

Any ideas or suggestions really would be appreciated.

I've got a multimeter so if anyone could advise how to check the various components of the ignition system that would br brill'.

there appears to be a lot of unecessary wiring left on the bike, I guess after the lights have been taken off, can this be "rationalised" ?

Check to see if you have a crankcase full of fuel !! Tip the bike up-side-down with the plug out to see if fuel comes out. Don't check for spark at this point or you may end up with a bonfire.

Seriously, can you get a crankcase full of fuel???

Edited by TDM900

Woodruff key sheared on the flywheel? If the flywheel has turned on the shaft it could backfire as the timing would be out

must agree with woody on the woodruff key for first point of call and yes ive seen crankcases full of fuel especially on betas if you dont turn the fuel off

Edited by sr34

Dear all (sr34, Woody and Outlaw)

thanks for your support and suggestions.

Top of the class today is Outlaw Dave. I drained quite a bit of oil stained fuel out of the crankcase when I up-ended the bike and then it started second kick afterwards.

I must admit to leaning towards the woodruff key myself, especially with the backfiring.

But, there you are, you learn something new everyday !

cheers