Bsa C15

graeme17

I have the chance of a BSA C15 in road trim, are they relatively easy to convert for pre65 trials? When converted are they any good or are special frame kits etc required to make them competative?. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated as when these bikes were manufactured I wasn't even born!!

Thanks

Ah, a good question... 'Easy' is a relative term in itself, depending on someone's ability... Can you cut frame tubes and weld them (you'll need to redesign the subframe for example), and do you know how to fit 'fiddle' internals into the forks, or make Bantam hubs fit into C15 forks/swingarm? Rather than think at this stage about the ease or not, you may want to weigh up the costs first, a pair of hubs respoked with alloy rims and new tyres is a good few hundred quid gone, add in alloy petrol/oil tanks and guards, new pipe an silencer, another big bunch of dosh for the fork conversion, new rear shockers, ignition system etc etc, plus all the fiddly bits you never even thought of (like 25 quid just for footrests, plus levers, cables, and an extortionate 60 quid or so for a fold-out kickstart...!). I wouldn't say C15s were any harder or easier than any other bike to convert - virtually all Pre-65 trials bikes are only converted road bikes anyway, but please work out how much you want to spend on the project first, it's really easy to find yourself getting the wrong side of two grand. My advice would be you'd have to really want a C15 to commit that sort of time and money to doing it. But that's just my point of view, only trying to save you gettin in over your head :-)

Hi Guys.

Hi Graeme.

Odgie's right In what he says , and there is a lot more parts than he as mentioned that you will have to find.

And here is another problem! time, to find and put together the parts, and the bike. And then half way through the project getting fed up with it and throwing the lot into the back of the shed.

But if you are commited to the project you can have many hours of thoughtful fun in overcoming the problems that you will no dout come across in the build.

And then have great pride showing off the bike when it is finished, and also the pleasure of riding it.

Or you could keep your eyes open and buy one that as already been built and sorted, It's up to you at the end of the day,

Good luck anyway.

Regards Charlie.

Hi Guys.

Hi Graeme.

Odgie's right In what he says , and there is a lot more parts than he as mentioned that you will have to find.

And here is another problem! time, to find and put together the parts, and the bike. And then half way through the project getting fed up with it and throwing the lot into the back of the shed.

But if you are commited to the project you can have many hours of thoughtful fun in overcoming the problems that you will no dout come across in the build.

And then have great pride showing off the bike when it is finished, and also the pleasure of riding it.

Or you could keep your eyes open and buy one that as already been built and sorted, It's up to you at the end of the day,

Good luck anyway.

Regards Charlie.

Thanks for your responses guys, points taken. The bike is lying in a garage which is to be demolished so I'm going to collect it anyway and decide from there. I appreciate there will be alot of work and expense in any conversion but was wondering if ,in your opinion the C15 is worth the effort or would another machine be a better bet and result in a better trials bike?

Regards Graeme

Can't say I've done much with C15's, I built one for a girlfriend of mine a good few years back, but it was a bit of a wayward beast, and we didn't have the money to really do it properly. They ain't never gone be as chuckable as a James or a Cub, but like all things, a good rider on any bike will still beat an average rider on a trick bike. But then you'll get the good riders on a really trick bikes... (why they do that and then complain trials are too easy I'll never understand, just buy a rigid if you want a challenge, but I digress...). If you want the fun of doing the C15 (and like Charlie says, there is fun in it), it'll make a half decent bike, sure enough. But it's resale value won't be as high as a Cub or James, although its build costs will be similar, and you've only got to look at what everyone else is riding to see they aren't the most popular choice. On the other hand, you have the C15 for (I assume) nothing, which is a big point in its favour... I'm trying to answer your question, but only you know what you want it for - it is well worth the effort if you're going to get a good few years enjoyment out if it (and not be dismayed that it isn't the most competitive bike in the field), but for the same effort (and a bit more money) you're right to think you could also build a better trials bike.

Hope I haven't confused you even more....... :-)

Can't say I've done much with C15's, I built one for a girlfriend of mine a good few years back, but it was a bit of a wayward beast, and we didn't have the money to really do it properly. They ain't never gone be as chuckable as a James or a Cub, but like all things, a good rider on any bike will still beat an average rider on a trick bike. But then you'll get the good riders on a really trick bikes... (why they do that and then complain trials are too easy I'll never understand, just buy a rigid if you want a challenge, but I digress...). If you want the fun of doing the C15 (and like Charlie says, there is fun in it), it'll make a half decent bike, sure enough. But it's resale value won't be as high as a Cub or James, although its build costs will be similar, and you've only got to look at what everyone else is riding to see they aren't the most popular choice. On the other hand, you have the C15 for (I assume) nothing, which is a big point in its favour... I'm trying to answer your question, but only you know what you want it for - it is well worth the effort if you're going to get a good few years enjoyment out if it (and not be dismayed that it isn't the most competitive bike in the field), but for the same effort (and a bit more money) you're right to think you could also build a better trials bike.

Hope I haven't confused you even more....... :-)

Cheers Mate, That's what I wanted to know. I shall collect the bike, sell on the parts and put the money towards something more suitable. As they say you can't polish a t*rd.

Best Regards Graeme