Clutch Mods

tdp

Hi,

Was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for clutch lightening mods for a B40.

Purchased a cable lightening device to try this weekend, nice to know if there are any other options.

Thanks in advance.

Hello tdp,

I have a B40, clutch is a bit heavy. You can try lengthening the clutch arm atop of the gearbox case, it looks like you can get an extra 25mm there before the clutch cable starts to foul the casing, (where the cable exits the casing).

Make sure the cable has no tight bends and is well oiled.

Bye, PeterB.

If its of any help what i did with my old B40, when i had it, was cut the clutch arm in half and thread the two halfs M6. then i gat a piece of s/s 10mm hex bored and tapped it M6 then screwed the lot back together. I think it was about 20mm longer than std. You only need a locknut on one end but the beauty is you can mess around with the length to find the best length. Also i made a new mtg bracket out of a piece pf 6mm dural usd the original cable hole with a bolt through to mount it. This enables you to position the cable so that the angle between the arm and the cable is optimum. Adjust the pushrod so that the arm is at 90 deg when fully pulled in.

As previously said make sure all bends in the cable are as large a radius as practical. This applies to all clutch cables on any bike. Finally lube with Duck Oil if you have nylon lined cables NOT WD40 !

I have done the same mod to the Villiers clutch arm on the James but have also fitted a spherical joint to the cable end so that the cable is always at the correct angl to reduce friction.

Works for me anyway. ;)

Hi Guys.

Hi O.T.F.

You sure did a good job on your B 40 clutch,It's the lightest action that I've found.

Mind you, give you credit, that every job you did on that bike was brilliant,You must have spent hours on it.

"Simple Mod that works" and with as you say adjustment. Am about to do simular mod to the other bikes.

Regards Charlie.