Scam?

mattzajac

Looking into it, there's a bit more to it than first thought. These emails are sent by web robots that exploit a security loophole in one of the Classified System programs. I'll find a fix, but it's going to take a while. In the meantime, a suitable warning has been put up when users are placing ads.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

--------------------------------------------------------

No.1

Hi Seller,

I am interested in buying this item from you(1999 Montesa 315R) and i want to know the present condition of the it and also i want to know the actaul price for it.i want you to be inform that my method of payment would be through certified cashier check soi want to hear from you?

Thanks..

No.2

Hello Ian Johnston,

I came accros your ad and i am really intreted in geting it.So i will want you to pls email me if it is still available.And also tell me its present condition.Also send me the pics if it is available and give me your last price.Also i will want you to know that my mode of payment is with a certified chasiers check which i believe is the best way of payment. If you are ok with that you can get back to me so that we can conclude on

payment.

Regard..

If they got your details from the TC ads, they why would they ask condition of the bike and the price of the bike if it is alright showing in the details?

Exactly!....that's why I'm quite confident both are scams and I don't mind posting the emails here. I did reply to one of them just to see what happens but heard nothing yet.

Ian.

I got a reply from one of the scumbags.....

THANKS FOR YOUR PROMPT REPLY AND PICTURES. I FEEL MORE INTERESTED IN IT. IAN, I HOPE YOU WOULDNT MIND IF YOUR BIKE IS BEEN SHIPPED OUTSIDE THE UK? I WOULD ARRANGE FOR THE PICK UP MYSELF BUT I WOULDNT BE COMING FOR THE TEST DRIVE OF IT DUE TO MY ABSENT FROM THE UK. I AM PRESENTLY IN BERMUDA ISLAND, PLEASE DO ADVISE BY SENDING YOUR CONTACT ADDRESS AND PHONE# WITH THE NAME REQUIRED ON THE PAYMENT SO I CAN HAVE PAYMENT MAILED OVER TO YOU WHICH IS TO BE DRAWN FROM A UK BANK.

AWAIT SOONEST REPLY.

I say make this guy work!

Have him send checks, make arrangements...whatever.

Give him a cell phone #, and when he tries to pick up the bike...of course he can't pick it up yet...the check hasn't cleared.

I did this with a guy in Romania selling an imaginary guitar on Ebay at a deep discount.

I even e-mailed him photos of the pile of $100 bills he thought he would be getting.

I got him to travel several miles to pick up a cahsier's check from my imaginary friend.

Hey...you can't put a price on a good time.

I traced this guys email address to an ISP.......complained and got a result...... :(

----------------------------------------

Hello

This is to inform you that action has been taken against the user

referenced in your complaint, in accordance with our zero tolerance

Acceptable Use Policy, which can be found at this URL -

http://www.outblaze.com/antispam/index.html

Outblaze is one of the largest providers of webmail services in

the world. As a responsible ISP, we hate spam, and we do not

allow our network to be abused by spammers.

Thank you for reporting this incident. Please feel free to report

further incidents of abuse originating from our users to us at

abuse@outblaze.com

We encourage you to use http://www.spamcop.net to send out automated

spam complaints, if you face difficulties complaining manually to each

spam you receive.

Thank You

Outblaze Abuse Desk

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 18 June 2004 09:50

To: Ian Johnston

Subject: RE: 1999 Montesa 315R

Sad facts are...some people have actually fallen for this routine and are out thousands of dollars for the education. It's the used vehicle equivalent of the Nigerian bank account transfers. A person much wiser than myself once said..."if it seems too good to be true - it probably is."

Guest Yamaha_dude

Yeh i had ur exact same email about my bike for sale.

trick to findin em is when they say someting about the bike they have pasted what you have called the advert on the net like calling it 1970s bultaco 250 every single time.

i dont respond to emails from abroad either all of them have been false.

:hyper: dam scammers

:hyper: Yep! This scam happens daily. I receive them regularly and in some cases they have got pretty good at leading it on. Last weekend I washed and detailed my Xr600 for some guy so I could give him some more photos of it and it ended up being this same scam. Different amount, bike, day! They don't usually ask for much about the bike so that's the first clue and I say "Usually"!

The best thing is to place a tag line on your reply such as; "Important note; we report all suspicious activities and fraudulent emails." I would like to carry one out to the point of getting one of those checks and getting them put away but it's too time consuming for me at this stage.

Any retirees wanna help nail a couple of these scum of the earth types?

Mark

Here is a photo of the new 20" MOd from "ONCEE"