Silencer 4rt

batunball

Well it has lost the very sharpest edge off the note but it's still far too b****y loud. How come a small scale operation like Beta can get it right but the World's number one motorcycle manufacturer has to produce a bike that threatens venues?

Well it has lost the very sharpest edge off the note but it's still far too b****y loud. How come a small scale operation like Beta can get it right but the World's number one motorcycle manufacturer has to produce a bike that threatens venues?

if monty 4ts threaten venues then please tell me which ones because i have not heard of any same can be said for the sherco 4t noise levels very similar

I'd love to hear a noise meter comparison between a standard beta 270 and a Montesa 4rt. Beta 270's have quite a bark

on that note , how long have very noisy pre 65 bikes been losing venues out of interest?

Edited by Slapshot 3
quote box

Exactly the point that we have been pushing up round our way!! There is one certain idiot , sorry person of an age who should know better who turns up to loads of trials and spends the 1st 15mins before the official start riding round the paddock reving the hell out of an old unsilenced old piece of ****!! Drives most folks crackers, but he seems to think that it is ok cos it is old. It the most offensive noise you could get out of a trials bike but nobody says a thing because it is deemed a classic and ok , but the 4rt is not.

Classic or not the arguement is either about noise or it isnt!! If it is, then ok and make the few old piles of scrap that are undersilenced quieter and then address the 4rt if that is what is needed.

People do not complain about motorcyle noise and then turn round and say " oh it's ok that bluddy racket, i didnt realise it was an old bike, please do continue blowing away my eardrums in a clasic stylee" !!

:( level playing field please !!

(when i refer to piles of scrap i do not mean in a general term classic bikes, i mean the old bags of nails that are literally running piles of scrap!)

Edited by marky boy

A few opinions to comment on then.

I can't remember the name of the venue but there was a post on here about a venue that had been used for over twenty years without a single complaint from the neighbours until the very first time that someone took a 4RT there then they started to roll in. I wouldn

As this is heading down the general noisy 4 stroke route, I'd thought I would chip in.

I own a Pre-65 'pile of scrap', I previously owned a 4RT and GG Pro.

My Pre-65 is noisy, even the MOT tester commented on it but still ticked the box, (noise is only observed in the MOT not tested). The GG was noisy when it popped at tick over, then less so on the throttle (that's what my elderly neighbours think) and the 4RT while quiet at tickover then barks at mid to full throttle (my opinion). All ran a manufactured exhaust / silncer that hadn't been modified by me.

No problem with any of the bikes unless anyone is around to complain. However all three bikes could do with being a lot quieter when you consider the sensitive nature of most of our venues. There'd be a lot less pressure if there was no noise that accompanied our sport, however that isn't practical until the OSET grows up.

So in the meantime we all have a noise problem, Josephine Rambler (read Janet Street-Porter) doesn't care whether its a 4RT, Pro or Pre-65. She just hears one noise and that's the nail in our coffin going in blow by blow. Most of the time in open country you hear a bike but rarely see it.

We ALL need quieter bikes, not just within ACU limits on a noise meter, but standard road bike quiet.

On my 2005 4rt i have a special piece on the silencer (verry small you nearly can't see it) and it takes away a lot of noise. The bike has lost a little power but i don't feel any difference, but the difference in sound is enorm. A quiet 4 rt is possible, and it does'nt costs lots of money the piece is "home made".

regards bob