Honda Cr500

boner

aye no panic on wheeels hopefully some of the guys over here wil ahve a set lying around,as for the seatcover someone owes me a favour and just happens to be a pro upholsterer,so might have to call in the favour lol,cause i aint makin a B*****ks of it

Your seat cover might not be so bad. My problem was that my bike had a supercross seat fitted which has a taller foam on it and my seat cover was a motorcross one. I had a mate do it too, I know he really struggled.

What year is your CR? do you know? If you give me a frame number i can tell you if you like.

You should ditch the standard expansion chamber, They really slow it down. I have a FMF gnarley which is good for mid range power. I know that Dep do some good pipes if you want it really peaky and all your power at the top BUT they are a bit fragile and the one i had kept cracking just from vibrations after a while.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

How are you going on with your CR? Got your wheels and seat sorted?

I'd love to see some more pictures. (email: madcr500@aol.com )

If you need any help i'm here. I'm no honda expert but i have had my cr for 7 years now and have done a lot to it.

Marcus

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good.

You wont really know about the jetting until you ride it with WOT for a while. With these bikes there is so much power there that most of the time your just riding on part throttle using the needle.

My jetting was fine until i altered the gearing to give 130mph. Then the first time i tried it out on WOT i put a hole in the piston big enough to get your finger through at 129.8mph! Scary moment.

• 1 year later...

• 2 years later...

Perhaps the best over the counter / stock competition bike ever made in my opinion. Competitive, very well made and reliable.

They have one drawback if you are going to ride them hard (sustained WOT). The coolant enters the cylinder at the rear of the barrel, whereas most heat is generated at the top of the exhaust port. This causes a steep temperature gradient and distortion across the barrel. Normally at motocross this is not a problem but if you use the engines for supermoto, grass track or beach racing in is well worth modifying the cooling system to give much more flow around the exhaust port.

Cheers

• 1 year later...

I have a '00 Cr 500 R, imported from Amerika, very good condition, last summer she's got fresh top end and new tyres :D

Huge power, a lots of fun, brings me a big smile every time I see her :D

This Sunday we are going to the forest, I'll try to take a few photos :D

I have a '00 Cr 500 R, imported from Amerika, very good condition, last summer she's got fresh top end and new tyres :D

Huge power, a lots of fun, brings me a big smile every time I see her :D

This Sunday we are going to the forest, I'll try to take a few photos :D

Our CR 500 89,CR250 88 & CR 250 87,the CR 500 came from California and still has its original front tyre.

post-16314-0-82479300-1395127952_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Glory days

Epic battle two CR 500 riders Eric Geboers vs. Rick Johnson and all together vs. two KX 500 riders Johnny O' Mara and Jeff Matiasevich ... Glen Helen Raceway 1990

Wizards of motocross at one place ... fantastic :thumbup:

101_1131.jpg

HI, great topic. I love the Geboers bike. I have had a love affair with CR500s since I rode my first 480 back in 83. I was 14 and owned a YZ490. After the first ride I saved up till I could afford mine. I got this 1985 model used from a guy that rode it one time and went right back to his XR200. Its been the most reliable bike I have ever owned. And I have had many. So far I have been riding it 27 years now. The power delivery is pretty brutal on this year and Honda worked to make the output smoother over the years. I rode a guys 95 CR500 and it seemed like a turd compared to this one. Its easy to start but very hard to kick. Honda also improved the starting a bunch over the years. I'm a little guy and I have had guys in the pits ask me who I was gonna get to start my bike for me. But I have never had a problem getting it started. You have to kick it just right, Like your stomping on snakes. I have had guys much bigger then me fail to get it lit. But overall I just love this bike. That's why I have kept it so long. I might dual sport it now. Would be fun on the street I think.

• Like 1

101_1131.jpg

HI, great topic. I love the Geboers bike. I have had a love affair with CR500s since I rode my first 480 back in 83. I was 14 and owned a YZ490. After the first ride I saved up till I could afford mine. I got this 1985 model used from a guy that rode it one time and went right back to his XR200. Its been the most reliable bike I have ever owned. And I have had many. So far I have been riding it 27 years now. The power delivery is pretty brutal on this year and Honda worked to make the output smoother over the years. I rode a guys 95 CR500 and it seemed like a turd compared to this one. Its easy to start but very hard to kick. Honda also improved the starting a bunch over the years. I'm a little guy and I have had guys in the pits ask me who I was gonna get to start my bike for me. But I have never had a problem getting it started. You have to kick it just right, Like your stomping on snakes. I have had guys much bigger then me fail to get it lit. But overall I just love this bike. That's why I have kept it so long. I might dual sport it now. Would be fun on the street I think.

They do say the 85 motor was the most powerful,has it still got the original magnesium clutch cover as they are renowned for corrosion ?