Ramyam 175, Any Info Needed

stevo1402

hi, recently purchased a TY175,believing it to be a sammy miller chrome frame model,turns out its a RAMYAM 175, just looking for any information re the history of this bike/frame builder etc, engine dates as a 1976 ty175 C, i thought RAMYAMS were more renown for monoshock ty250,s?please feel free to correct me!! any help greatfully recieved

someone must know something???? Running out of ideas on info, any ideas on value? bike is in very good condition,but does have the normal steel TY tank,rather than the ugly ramyam plastic seat/tank unit,such a nice frame,but what an ugly tank unit!!!

Ram Yam's were produced in Kent by an old friend of mine Rex Piles. I've lost contact with him now but I do have his brother's contact details, he could point you in the right direction. From memory the project was a little ad-hoc! I don't think there were any drawings or parts lists but it did work quite well at a time when monoshock for trials was the in thing.

many thanks for your reply,i would very much appreciate the contact details for rex,s brother,i did manage to find out rex pile produced the frame,but i still am not totally convinced its a ramyam as it does have a very period looking(worn,patina in antiques)sammy miller frame sticker on headstock,and the only frame stamping is the figures 150 on the left of headstock looking down as riding bike,i just want to know exactly what i have,was advised it was a sammy miller 1st,but then the guy said his miller frame had square section top tube and not round as mine is?this is a very(factory)standard quality frame,full frame not modded,excellent welds and chrome,very nice,as same flat footpeg hangers as a miller?have tried upload pics but no joy,can mail them to any 1s email address for verification? cheers 4 ur help

Hi,

email me, mcousins@westnet.com.au and I'll send you Rex's brother's details. From memory I think Rex modded a standard Whitehawk frame to become mono and after the prototype the alterations were done professionally. I'm sure Rex (or his wife!) will have the answers.

steveo1402.

It would be interesting if you could find out the name's of the schoolboy rider's onboard the 175's if you get to talk to the right people,a team of them turned up to ride one of our schoolboy Trial's back in the day.They knew how to ride them that's for sure.

right,today i got to talk to the man himself,Rex Pile!!!, he has looked at my frame and it isnt 1 of his ramyams,he did a total of 22 conversions on the mick whitlock whitehawk frames,converting those to monoshock,hence the name Rex Auto Monos =Ramyam, he is of the opinion this is indeed a sammy miller frame,but i have a pic of an identicle bike to mine but with a sammy miller 1 piece tank and seat unit on,that Mick Andrews has verified as being a Ramyam 175 twinshock? I am lost!!!!surely Rex is the man who knows his own work,he sent me a couple of press pages with pics of his bikes,and they look nothing like mine in the footpeg hanger plates,they indeed still look like a whitehawk frame in that area,which they are originally,buggered if i know!!!!