Montesa Swingarm Bolt

hrc2002

Hi,

The other week when riding I snapped the rear suspension linkage, yesterday I stripped the bike down, removed the broken part and thought I may aswell take the swingarm off and grease it all up.

So, got the manual out and read up on it 'Remove pivot bolt'...no use what so ever.

Came on here, and looked at the diagrams on Apex Sports, and printed off the Swingarm one.

Now...I removed ONE nut (looking from the back of the bike, towards the front, the nut was the one on the LEFT hand side). It came off without much force at all.

Now...onto the right hand side...it didn't budge at all, with too much force the rachet would slip and chew the nut up...didn't want that hassle so I but the other nut back on and left it.

Now...how the hell does that swingarm get off?

Looking at this part 18 seems to be on the left hand side...not the right.

(meaning, the NUT is on the LEFT on my bike, not on the RIGHT as it says in the diagram)

Any advice is greatful :hyper:

Cheers.

Edited by HRC2002

I've removed my swing arm a few times now on a couple of Monts and the nut is definately on the right hand side (kickstart) as shown in the diagram. With the nut removed it is simply a case of using a copper drift/ nylon faced hammer to get the bolt/axle moving, once moving you need a long drift to drive the bolt out. Once everything is out and cleaned I use Silkolene Pro RG2 synthetic grease which seems to resist water quite well, apply generously and remove excess when assembled.

This has been the case on the 2 Monts that I've had from new, if someone has had the bike before you then the swing arm bolt may have been refitted from the wrong side which would lead to your confusion.

Hope this helps

Ok, thanks Hughsey!

Dont suppose you could tell me what the refitting is like?? are all the bearings 'locked in place', or will they go everywhere when I remove the swingarm?

Many, Many Thanks,

Matt.

No. the bearings are caged needle roller bearings and are an interferance fit in the swing arm. You need to remove the dust caps then you should be able to get to the bush which should push out exposing the bearing. Clean out with diesel or something similar as not to damage/perish seals and repack with grease if serviceable. Check bushes for fretting and general wear and then reassemble if good.

Good Luck