Thinking About Changing To Gas Gas

tombo46

Getting fed up with my 06 beta, and thinking about buying a new 08 Gas Gas 250 however my local Dealer has told me they dont let you ride them! Gas Gas UK isnt too far away from me so may buy from them, does anyone know if they will have one for me to ride?

Also, are there any common problems with the Txt's or are they pretty much sound? Im getting fed up with my Beta wazzing petrol everywhere and just little things like the rubber cable holder near the fuel cap always coming away from the tank, Its also nice to know where a bikes been hence why I want to buy new this time.

everyone tells me the brakes are awesome on a gasser, is that true? Front brake on my beta sucks so will be looking forward to that.

Also, what should I be looking at paying for one with cash?

Would like one with a red frame but only seen raga with that one so im guessing its only availiable in black (not a bad thing, looks swish!)

Thanks in advance.

Tom

tombo46 . if at all possible try and get a ride on a gasgas before changing , even if its an 07, you will be amazed at the difference. i know what you mean about getting fed up with a bike, once its in your mindset its time to change.

the brake has been bled, loads of pressure in the lever but just doesnt grip the disc, tried new pads, roughing up the disc etc but no luck, got a new disc on the way which will sort it hopefully.

at the end of the day, the gasser is a competitive machine so im sure ill get used to riding it to my fullest, its just mechanical things i would be worried about mostly. i know alot of people slate gassers for falling to bits but as far as im aware this was just in the early pro models and it seems to have tainted the name. is this true or are they all still falling apart?

Thanks for the replies.

Tom

Gas Gas are excellent, I have had 3 250's and no problems with any other than an ajp master cylinder. They are easy to work on, need a regular check over and fettling but sound bike. They did have reliability problems in the past but havw been updated and improved year on year. I would be bet money on a call to shirty resulting in a quick spin on one if not a test ride!!

Always try before you buy and don't be lead by what other people say, go to a test day and have a go before you decide. The Sherco, Beta, & Gas Gas are all good it's just down to what suits you sir, and if you have plenty of cash this montesa is a great bike too, and great fun to ride.

Think twice

Act once.

My mate had one and he reckoned it was twice the maintenance of a beta, airbox off every ride, buy a new beta the carb is sorted now.

Complete and utter rubbish, have had 2 rev3's and 4 pro.s no differance in maintainence at all.

The pro,s are easier to work on, thats all.

Whatever bike feels right is the one for you.

We've had the experience of both Beta and Gas Gas (and Montesa 4RT) in our family.

In terms of maintenance, I actually found the Rev-3 slightly easier to work on eg; carburettor removal and replacement.

In terms of build quality, I consider them even. You can pick flaws in both.

In terms of riding...that's up to you. go to a club day and ask someone for a ride on their bike. They're both good trials bikes.

If you want the best build quality and ease of ownership then buy a 4RT. People just don't appreciate how different the 4RT is in this area until they actually own one.

I was in your position having had Beta rev3 bikes since 2001 and took the plunge and bought an 07 300 txt last year. I ride it far better and will buy an 09 Gas Gas next as they are all about as reliable as each other. You can pick holes in the gasser as much as you can a beta but at the end of the day it comes down to you and youre spanners and wd40.

I would say ride one for an hour or two in proper trials conditions to get a feeling of the bike.