Lighting The Clutch

coldcake

Hi All,

Looking for some help here.

I've always thought my clutch heavy, I don't notice so much when starting out but by end of trials my grip and clutch finger is knackered.

Today a guy also with same year scorpa as mine rode it and he said that the clutch was heavy.We both use the same 10w40 gear oil, but i have a bigger master cylinder.

Any suggestions welcome

Hi there,

When you say you fitted a bigger master cylinder, do you mean it has a larger diameter piston or is just visually larger?

If the master piston was larger than standard then you would achieve more travel and have a harder to actuate clutch.

The SY has the clutch slave open to the elements and can easily become clogged up with mud and grit at the working open end. If you remove the silencer and centre box, you can get to the slave, one allen bolt holds it on. Leave the clutch hose connected, with the cylinder removed you can clean out the rubber boot end and lubricate with clutch fluid until you get a good action. Thats a bout all you can do with the standard fittings, I've looked at lengthening the clutch actuating lever but there is little mechanical advantage to be gained with the confinements of the system.

After cleaning out a friends bike like this, we got quite a reasonable clutch action.

Bye, PeterB.

Cheers Peter,

After trials today mate rode my bike down and he said the clutch adjustment by lever was to sharp,not enough play.

So we adjusted it,then i tried it out and it felt better,but I did not have much time as the good lady only gives me so much time to play.

hopefully that should do the trick.

It just makes me wonder how we just put up with things, thinking that's the norm

one week on, and this has made big improvment to clutch

happy days

Edited by coldcake