Vito Or Transporter Or ?

cg125

I'm thinking of getting a van, but not sure what to go for. I want six seats (two rows of three), but don't want anything massive.

A Vito Dualiner looks good (and has passenger doors on both sides which is a bonus) or a Transporter Kombi - both SWB.

Any views on either of these? Or a better alternative?

Ta!

Edited by cg125

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

buy vw the merc is spanish bulit you cant trust anyone who has a sleep in the middle of the day
:D

Are you buying a new van or second hand ? if new i would consider the Vito they had problems with the pre 2002 cars. I think both are great cars but both have their problems it,s like asking here what to get a GasGas or a Beta :huh:

If you go for the T5 Transporter be prepared for potential problems, at least if it has a 5 cyl engine. Mine spent 42 days at the dealer in the 3 miserable years i owned it. Sure, some will counter that by saying theirs has been fine. The easiest way to get a true reflection is to ask one of the mechanics at your local main dealer... When the last item failed, a driveshaft,it was on back order for 6 weeks.

Hi i agree with Tricky

in 2002 i bought a 112 Vito great van ,no problems and still going strong at 130000 mles

in Dec 2006 i collected my new all singing, danceing T5 130 bhp trendline super van

Dec 2007 after 13000 miles we are on the 3rd clutch, new handbrake asembley , new rear door,

due to handbrake failing, so not very happy,

All vans do have problems, but the main problem with VW is trying to get them to sort them out

VW Customer care , Ha Ha good joke

Although you do get help after your solicitors letters have gone in

Get A Vito

I wanted a vito originally, then changed my mind to a VW, then finally went back to my insticts and got a vito dualliner.

2 seats in front, 3 behind, plenty of room for one bike behind with all seats in place, could probably fit two at a squeeze with a bit of jigging about, and maybe a front wheel out.

Mine is an '02 with 80k and so far so good. Really comfy to drive, like people always say, just like a car. And it fits in car parks etc and has the added family carrying capacity I wanted.

Well happy!

Body work has a few minor issues (Few rust spots) but that is the only fault and can be sorted.

Hi i agree with Tricky

in 2002 i bought a 112 Vito great van ,no problems and still going strong at 130000 mles

in Dec 2006 i collected my new all singing, danceing T5 130 bhp trendline super van

Dec 2007 after 13000 miles we are on the 3rd clutch, new handbrake asembley , new rear door,

due to handbrake failing, so not very happy,

All vans do have problems, but the main problem with VW is trying to get them to sort them out

VW Customer care , Ha Ha good joke

Although you do get help after your solicitors letters have gone in

Get A Vito

Yes, its pretty well known about the reliability issues, but some of the Van centres are hopeless- usually causing more problems than they went in with. My local one, Nottingham Van Centre have just lost the VW franchise which is a blessing, really , and i'd like to think i played a small part in helping them lose it....

If you go for the T5 Transporter be prepared for potential problems, at least if it has a 5 cyl engine. Mine spent 42 days at the dealer in the 3 miserable years i owned it. Sure, some will counter that by saying theirs has been fine. The easiest way to get a true reflection is to ask one of the mechanics at your local main dealer... When the last item failed, a driveshaft,it was on back order for 6 weeks.

Bought a t5 174 new 2 years ago never missed a beat and only been in for regular servicing and one very very minor problem due to driver error.

Vito afriend had a few years back was trouble from the word go.

however that aside my next is a vito!

I wanted a vito originally, then changed my mind to a VW, then finally went back to my insticts and got a vito dualliner.

2 seats in front, 3 behind, plenty of room for one bike behind with all seats in place, could probably fit two at a squeeze with a bit of jigging about, and maybe a front wheel out.

Mine is an '02 with 80k and so far so good. Really comfy to drive, like people always say, just like a car. And it fits in car parks etc and has the added family carrying capacity I wanted.

Well happy!

Body work has a few minor issues (Few rust spots) but that is the only fault and can be sorted.

A big plus for the vw is 0, one two or 3 seats on second row. Vito is two or 3 only, whixch is a pain for 3 bikes swb.

Best to do a bit of research as its not always as clear cut as whats best especially as things like not having one seat is a problem for some but not others.

120 cdi sounds good though!

go for the vito yes the early ones had problems but these have all been now ironed out. merc dealer labour charges are about forty quid less than vw(up here in the ne)and parts availability is very good. if its not in stock they will have it next day.

Why do you think the transit has been the most popular van on the road since they came out???

Its not because they are junk is it!!

Well why do you think fiats are popular in Italy and edbro in spain? Yearsago the MB 100 was a great van and I always wanted one, sadly they were not available here.

H B J is there a subject youre not an expert on? Are you 100 years old?

I've had both, Vito and VW T4.

I preferred the drive of the Vito, but the build quality of the T4 is definately better. I say this as a trained, qualified vehicle technician :thumbup:

I'm told that the build quality of the new T5s is not up to the standard of the earlier T4s, and that the later Mercs are a better motor than the earlier ones.

So if it's a very late or new vehicle you're after, then I'd say buy the one that you like the look of best and has the nearest dealer to you. If you're buying earlier, then I'd tip the scales in favour of the VW. They do seem to give better fuel economy, and the resale values seem to be a little better too.

One more thought - very little wrong with a Renault Trafic from what I can see..... steer clear of the Nissan variant though.

Hope that helps.