Vito Or Transporter Or ?

cg125

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had both, Vito and VW T4.

I preferred the drive of the Vito, but the build quality of the T4 is definately better. I say this as a trained, qualified vehicle technician :thumbup:

I'm told that the build quality of the new T5s is not up to the standard of the earlier T4s, and that the later Mercs are a better motor than the earlier ones.

So if it's a very late or new vehicle you're after, then I'd say buy the one that you like the look of best and has the nearest dealer to you. If you're buying earlier, then I'd tip the scales in favour of the VW. They do seem to give better fuel economy, and the resale values seem to be a little better too.

One more thought - very little wrong with a Renault Trafic from what I can see..... steer clear of the Nissan variant though.

Hope that helps.

I got a nissan primastar LWB 115bhp with comfort pack on it (see other thread),2nd one i've had,great vans.

hey

whats wrong whit the nissan version? i thought they where all the same car but a different badge ?

I would choose the vivaro-trafic -primastar van with a vw T5 in good second place

regards bob

Not too sure a primastar would be anyones choice above a 174 t5, surely?

Ooops...........

Sorry if I upset anyone with my remark about the Nissans.....

When van hunting a while back I checked out pretty much every make before buying a T4. A good number of tradesmen I spoke to told me that Nissan put their own engines in their version of that van, and that they had some reliability issues, whereas the other two variants seemd to be trouble free.

As a consequence, the secondhand values were lower than the Renault or Vauxhall versions.

I would always consider this as well as everything else when choosing a van, or dishing out advise on t'interwebnet...

It's not to say the Nissan is a bad van, just in my opinion it sits behind the other two. :rolleyes:

Of course I've only taken other peoples word for it, and I wasn't looking at new vans. It may be the case that they all share the same lumps now?

Ooops...........

Sorry if I upset anyone with my remark about the Nissans.....

When van hunting a while back I checked out pretty much every make before buying a T4. A good number of tradesmen I spoke to told me that Nissan put their own engines in their version of that van, and that they had some reliability issues, whereas the other two variants seemd to be trouble free.

As a consequence, the secondhand values were lower than the Renault or Vauxhall versions.

I would always consider this as well as everything else when choosing a van, or dishing out advise on t'interwebnet...

It's not to say the Nissan is a bad van, just in my opinion it sits behind the other two. :rolleyes:

Of course I've only taken other peoples word for it, and I wasn't looking at new vans. It may be the case that they all share the same lumps now?

the nissan kubistar, same as berlingo/kango... is sopposed to be shocking,the engines blow. Even the nissan salesman said"dont bother"!.

I would say that this topic depends on how deep your pockets are l drive a lwb vivaro everyday for work and l have driven the VW/Merc vans in the past and personally think the vivaro is a lot better on comfort and handling.

You could probablly buy a new vivaro/traffic dual cab with a good spec inc metallic for what you pay for a 18 month-2 year old with a good spec. A word of warning!! they do say dont keep the vivaro/traffic past its warrenty as they are prone to doing gearboxes.

Before l purchesed my vivaro we priced a new transporter up in a good spec i.e. air con metallic paint etc on the 130ps swb and was quoted around 21000+vat and when we asked about disscount the sales manager would not disscus until we placed an order with deposit so we never went back and went and bought my vivaro lot less fuss talked good disscount and we took him up on it.

• 1 month later...
So if it's a very late or new vehicle you're after, then I'd say buy the one that you like the look of best and has the nearest dealer to you. If you're buying earlier, then I'd tip the scales in favour of the VW.
That seems to fit with what I've heard from other people too. Both the Vito and T5 post ~2005 seem to be good. I don't want to spend that much so a T4 is looking favourite at the moment.

That seems to fit with what I've heard from other people too. Both the Vito and T5 post ~2005 seem to be good. I don't want to spend that much so a T4 is looking favourite at the moment.

Fair enough. There's a few engines to choose from, the basic 1.9td being the runt of the litter at 68bhp. The most sought after and most tuneable (if thats your thing) is the 2.5TDi, which comes in at 102bhp and drives very strongly indeed. My old T4 has the 2.4 naturally aspirated lump in it which is reasonably economical, but not so good on the motorways at speed....

I went for a T4 recently....old banger. Very little rust and seems to be built really well. Strong following for advice on T4forum. Loads of bits available to "tart it up"

normally not used by builders so rare to find one full of cement dust...mainly electricians, chippys and Trials riders own them !!

Don;t be put off the 1.9 normally aspirated or turbo. I've heard they are a more reliable engine than the 5 cyl 2.4. I ended up with a 2.0 petrol...which I converted to lpg....now costs less to run than a diesel....

check out the t4forum website before you choose.....it'll convince you a t4 is the way to go...