Ahhh Smell Of Castrol R...

boner

Here we go... love it or hate it?

I'm currently running Castrol TTS but was told that a teaspoonful of Castrol R in the mix will give you the classic 2 stroke smell, without the associated running problems.

I'm off to make the woodlands smell nicer...

Boner.

Here we go... love it or hate it?

I'm currently running Castrol TTS but was told that a teaspoonful of Castrol R in the mix will give you the classic 2 stroke smell, without the associated running problems.

I'm off to make the woodlands smell nicer...

Boner.

I think that you'll find that they don't make Castrol R anymore. I may be wrong of course but if I remember correctly then there is an alternative which smells the same.....

Be very careful with Castrol R .....as I remember it doesn't MIX with anything else.

I'm not an expert on "R" but it is a vegetable based oil. R40 is basically Castrol R nowadays.

A friend of mine pours a capful into his B40 fuel tank i.e. mixed with the petrol, just to give it the distinctive aroma, but he uses mineral based oil in the oil tank.

Racers used "R" as the main lubricant but it can sludge an engine up. It was only recommended for use when racing engines were stripped down regularly to replace rings and be overhauled due to the normal than usual wear caused under racing conditions and if left in an unused motor for any considerable length of time it would sludge.

Big John

Hi Guy's

Tony is right. DONT mix Castrol "R" with any mineral based oil, or synthetic or you will be in big trouble. Putting some in with the petrol is also a nightmare waiting to happen.

If you do use veggi based oil it is fine on its own, but will need changing very freqentley, But the smell is Great Aye.

Regards Charlie.

Go on - admit it though - I probably like most..... as a youth loved the smell of Castrol 'R' and if to be lucky enough to get a whiff of it now suddenly find myself whisked off into a dream and find myself start remembering very happy memories as a kid watching my father doing MX. I'd stand behind the start line and watch him disappear off into the distance on his old Sprite or Husky380 and just take it all in (cough! ahcheww!).

It's one of those smells which can invoke lots of memories to lots of people.....

There's almost a little tear in my eye now! lol

Shaun.

a full grid of TZs and RS 250s at cadwell on a crisp spring morning, slightly rich on the main.........aaahhhhhh......the fumes.......bliss. :shutup:

hovis Posted Today, 04:36 PM

we used to use strawberry flavoured ipone.......... it smell very nice.

you were using repsol yesterday, are you going to change your stickers again? :o

Edited by paul w

Yup you can still get castrol R and 747 does smell very similar. Have run 747 for over 10 years in our 2 stroke trials bikes and also KX 500 supermoto monster, it is perfect for 'em. Aways ran 80-1 on 747 and never a problem with the trials bikes and imo it is the best 2T oil you can use. A local guy who always used 747 in his moto-x engine filled up with neat fuel and the bike ran for a considerable amount of time before he noticed a problem and when he stripped it down there was barely a mark , in which he put down to the quality of the oil still remaining in the bike .We have found this in oldish engines when stripped, after only ever being run on it that the bore etc looks perfect! :shutup:

Hello all, I am a Newby to this site and did trials for 9 years on Fantics and 4 more on GasGas.

Castrol RRRRRRRRRR lovely wiff

Well, I run 6 strokers at the mo and have been a lover of old school 2T

36,000=+ on a fizzy and

56000+ on an RD 400 speak volumes!

BUT

HEY a rd 350 racer prject and a bit of nostalgia and I was looking at good old CASTROL RRRRRRRRRRRR!

well in new money R30.

as has been stated, if injecting do NOT mix with ANY other oil.

BUT if used fresh in any rebuilt engine ok.

or, if you just want the smell, drop a bit in the petrol tank, or as your premix choice.

R30 is no more but the chaps at castrol say r40 is the nxt best (better) BUT DONT MIX WITH MINERAL/SNTH/OR SEMI SYTH

OR, JUST FOR THE SMELL IN AN AUTO LUBBE A TEASPOON OF CASTOR OIL FROM THE CHEMIST DOES THE JOB..

Read all that and still not too sure what to do!

I'm running a Mont 315 & a Gaser TXT50 - and want the Castrol R smell - but not the gunking problems...

Currently use Castrol TTS, which is fully synthetic - but really want that R smell :shutup: ... what should I do to get it?

Cheers - Boner.