04 Pro Oil Level

bigfoot

Can anyone tell me the correct oil level for an 04 pro 300? The book says 500cc but the oil reaches the middle of the sight glass way before that. I would guess somewhere around the 300cc mark.

The book for our 04 280 pro says 525ml. If you put this much in it chucks most of it out the breather tube. I spoke to GAS GAS UK who said that they put in 400ml. With this amount the sight glass is still fully covered and it also stilll chucks some oil out the breather, but this seems to soon stop when it finds it's own level. I have positioned the breather pipe over the rear chain so at least the surplace oil is doing somthing.

Stuart.

Thanks Twinnshock That's what I found as well. If anyone knows the correct level it would be nice. I don't like the idea of filling the box and allowing it to spit out what it doesn't need. Somewhere someone must know the real quantity.

I agree it's a little confusing. The first generation Pros used 350cc of oil, then the later ones used 450cc, and to add to that the '04 apparently calls for more again. I don't think the sight glass is a very good indicator though regardless. It will tell you there is "some" in there, but not to correct level. My Enduro bike shows oil in the sight glass when it's down 1/3, so I've never really trusted them.

As the clutch cover did change in '03 that might be why they called for more oil than the '02 models, but as far as I know there are no significant changes to the cases or covers on the '04 models, which would lead me to stick with the 450cc level.

I too tried 500cc, but found that it spit out of the vent line too. I've gone back to 450cc and seems to be fine. Too much oil in a 2 stroke is not a problem in most cases anyways, as it just vents out anyways....a little free chain lube :hyper:

Hey Bigfoot - Problem is you can never get all the old oil out before re-filling

so if the manual says 500cc - you should re-fill with 480 because there is always going to be some oil lodged in the clutch case somewhere. - That is the system I have used for years with Gas Gas - Beta and Sherco. As Joe says it isn't really a problem. The total capacity listed is for when the bike is brand new with no oil in the case. - Just change it often and use a good 5w30wt. - NOT automotive oil.