Exhaust - Yeugghhhh!

ianj

Hi,

At Addingham on Sunday I took a good look at the '05 GasGas bikes.

I've just sold my Mont and in a few months will probably be buying a new bike, however, one thing that struck me not having looked in any detail at any of the "Pro" bikes these past few years is the exhaust. Certainly on the '05 bikes the front pipe seems VERY exposed.

Is the '04 the same? I might consider a 2nd hand '04 instead.

This is a show-stopper for me if you compare it to the Sherco there is just no comparison.

PS. GasGas clutch seems heavy?

Ian.

Hi,

At Addingham on Sunday I took a good look at the '05 GasGas bikes.

I've just sold my Mont and in a few months will probably be buying a new bike, however, one thing that struck me not having looked in any detail at any of the "Pro" bikes these past few years is the exhaust. Certainly on the '05 bikes the front pipe seems VERY exposed.

Is the '04 the same? I might consider a 2nd hand '04 instead.

This is a show-stopper for me if you compare it to the Sherco there is just no comparison.

PS. GasGas clutch seems heavy?

Ian.

I've owned 3 pros & to date I've caused no serious damage to the front pipe on any of them. I've certainly not flattened or dented one, just the usual scuffs & marks you would expect from regular use.

Edited by PERCE

The front pipe is very well protected because it has its place so up - next to top frame tubes, even litle "inside" the frame. Will not be a problem.

For example the front pipe of beta is lot more vunerable because it runs right in the midle of the motor section (and on "wrong side" for most of us...).

By the way, for -05 GG looks are very cool!

edit: Sherco exaust is neat lookin

Edited by Da Make

I agree with Pierce, I too have had 3 pros and never damaged a pipe...silencer? yes!, head pipe no. I have burned my leg on it though.

I've not tried an '05, but my '04 clutch is like butter.

Did anybody see the Jarvis replica (on the Colin Appleyard stand) at Addingham?

The header pipe looked like it had a tin of 'Heinz Beans' welded round it and painted black! I overheard that it was some form of cat' converter.

Interesting point Kinill, seen a few mentions of catalytic converters on two strokes now, and was told this is how some think they can pass the FIM emission level requirements for 06.

People need to keep in mind trials bikes sold in the US are for off road competition use only, will they be tested ?, the FIM testing that may take place in a year or two will be only for lads riding the world championships and they probably will replace the cat every round so it will perform correctly.

The big ? will be lads in Europe who want to road reg their bike, will it have to pass the emission test ? if so once it's had a year of trials and the old cat is full of oily gunge, probably the only way it will pass is replace the cat, not bad if the price is sensible, but on motors that can be a costly item.

When I asked the FIM official what and when the ruling was, I'm sure he said the bikes will have to meet the emisson standards in 06, my reply was " does that mean they will have to be four stroke or just meet the emission levels" he said just meet the emission levels, anyone on TC know if that is fact?

Also it takes a test station to test the bikes, I don't think plod will be able to carry the ACME smog tester around in his back pocket, so once the bike is thru the test whats to stop you putting a competition exhaust on for events :wacko: tha nos what I mean nudge nudge.

Edited by ishy

you sure it wasn't some form of protector.. to stop the leg burning syndrome that all of us gasgas owners know too well!!

Nope, the pipe exited the engine curled down and up as per usual with the bean can fitted before the pipe swept round the side of the engine. It was definitely in front of the engine and looked vulnerable to knocks unless of course your name is Graham Jarvis :wacko:

the clutch friction plates instead of wearing down thinner because of use actually swell up with oil ? the clearance of the clutch needs to be maintained by fitting a thinner shim in between the friction plates. there is a good picture on the gas gas us website that gives you the dimensions of the plates and the complete clutch dimensions. you measure the clutch and the plates with a vernia caliper. drain the gearbox oil in the usual way, remove the kickstart and take the allen bolts out of the casing. lift off the casing. be careful with the clutch rod inside the casing. the clutch cage is held in place with allen bolts. remove them, use a decent set of allen keys or you might round the heads, then replace the shim and rebuild. takes about 1 hour. Gas Gas uk i have found to be the cheapest for buying parts. hope that makes sense :wacko:

W makes sense,just sounds scary haveing never attempted takeing a clutch apart,any clues to the life span lets say with weekly use of plates before they drown in oil,and does the hydraulics have to be rebled after removal?More questions on request!

Many thanks

my bikes an 02 and i didn't do much with it for the first year due to injury. then rode one trial a week and practised 5 or 6 hours a week even in winter as i was unemployed. so i used it quite a bit. my clutch started to get heavier,prob march 04, and i e mailed Kev at Gas Gas and he came up with the clutch mod straight away. you have to strip the clutch to measure it ,obviously, but GG deliver next day no problem so you can do it mid week. if you have any problems e mail kev at gas gas he really is helpful and knows his stuff. Provided you take everything apart slowly, making notes, either mentally or draw them. or take digital pics they are great for showing you where things go back. then you should be fine. also post on here there are the most knowledgeable and helpful people from all over the world only too willing to help. just ask away

sorry H forgot to mention clutch shouldn't need to be bled by taking off cover. it's worthwhile chcking the nut in the centre of the clutch is tight while you have the cage apart this can also lead to a lack of clearance. Remember i'd never done it before and i've only done it once so it can't be that bad. :wacko:

Hi all,

Talking about clutches, my old '93 gasgas has a heavy clutch, but I got slightly weaker springs made and it was lighter and 'just' at the point of slipping under heavy load (road work).

I tried the clutch on the '05 at Addingham and found it heavy.......so has anyone done a clutch spring mod like I did on my '93 ?

Ian.