06 Rear Fender A Bit Delicate? Broke Again...

joostio

I just got an 06 2.9 and I have broken the rear fender twice in 4 rides. It was already broken when I got the bike. I remember breaking fenders on my old beta alp a lot too. But for the last 3 years I have been ridding a 315r and never broke a fender. the 315 even came with a new spare fender. I have a spare decal kit for the Sherco and decided to modify my spare Montesa fender. The Montesa fender is very bendy and flexy. I will have to trim it a bit but it should look alright. anyone else keep breaking them? last ride I also broke the front fender and bent the handle bars....

I always purchase a spare, that way I will never need it! Has worked so far on the '06 and '07! :D

Maybe you should read through the notes on"Taming the Beast", it ain't no 315! ;)

Edited by copemech

I had better buy a spare front mudguard, front disc protector and rear chain/sprocket guide in future!

Snapped or cracked all three in the last six weeks on my 07.

May be the plastics are a bit brittle on the later models as I had my 04 for over three years and never broke or cracked any plastics at all.

Are the white 08 plastics any better?

How are you fixing the rear mudguard on?

Mine normally wear out from wear and tear, before they snap. I use a couple of zip ties to hold mine on at the back (as most people do over here).

My lads broken his once, but I decided I'd used a couple of zip ties that were a bit too strong, and I think the very cold weather influenced how brittle the mudguard was. You in a cold patch?

Shove a few spare zip ties in yer pocket and a 4mm hex key and you can always fix it back on.

Edited by bikespace

I broke the rear on my 06 week, I've had it for just over a year and luckily had a new spare.

It shattered right on the 2 rear bolt fixings.

Has anyone come up with a simple mod to do away with the bolt fixings, to make t less likely to break?

The old cable tie fixings on my previous 03 were a bit of a money saver when they used to break rather than the mudguard.

Has anyone come up with a simple mod to do away with the bolt fixings, to make t less likely to break?

The old cable tie fixings on my previous 03 were a bit of a money saver when they used to break rather than the mudguard.

The fact that you've asked that suggests I'm totally out of date ;) so ignore my previous suggestion about the zip ties.

I'll have to have a look at one to familiarise myself.

One day I'll buy a new one :D - when my 04 gives up, but I can't bring myself to get rid. Had the money this year and bought a Supermoto instead.

That's the trouble when manufacturers make a good sturdy one eh. Doesn't sell new bikes.

Edited by bikespace

Bikespace, I think it was from the 06 on where they went away from the fixing being like yours where you can handily use cable ties, which worked so well, to 2 bolts on the top of the mudguard. Not quite as practical but luckily I have stopped falling as often as I did a few years ago, other wise I would have been forking out

On my '07 I took the 3 fender bolts out remounted the front center one to just hold the fuel tank, drilled two holes to secure fender to frame (above the swingarm bolt) with zips and zipped were the 2 rear bolts attached....pops off nicely when it needs to....been tested a few times.. lol