Txt50 Gearing

boner

Chaps, was wondering if you could help me with a gearing query?

I am wanting to slow my lads TXT50 boy down a bit.

It has the current Gas Gas set up 10 teeth on the front and 52(?) on the back.

The bike tends to run away on downhill sections, as the motor spins up - and oppositely, could do with a bit more bottom end pick-up when attacking uphill sections.

Could I drop a tooth on the front cog and resolve this? Or are there other options?

Cheers Boner.

Hi Boner

Glad you asked this as my son has just got himself a 05 TXT50 Boy, impressive little bike, really surprised what they are capable of so far.

I've found this post

Click here!

It says increase the rear to a 60T, which i have seen several other people on here say is the best mod you can make to these little bikes.

But it also says to use a 9T front sprocket?

I wonder if someone could confirm this is correct, as it is the only mention of changing the front sprocket i have seen.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks

Tom

Tom, just been speaking with Kev at GG - and he says just go with the 60T on the back sprocket.

Give's the bike a better grunt uphill.

Other TXT50 mods worth considering are: replacing one of the two thin clutch plates with a thick one.

And enlarging the hole in the airbox lid to help the bike breath better.

I am in the throws of doing all the above - and will post how the mods have helped the little TXT.

Cheers - Boner.

Thanks Boner, did Kev at GG recommend those additional mods or are they things you were going to do anyway?

I have been thinking of doing exactly the same mods, be good to hear how you get on.

Couple of questions

1. How much is the thick clutch plate, and have they GG got them in stock?

2. Are you bothering with the 9T front Sprocket then?

Cheers

Tom

I carried out all the mods you have mentioned on my sons 50 BOY about three years ago.And can't recommend them highly enough.Thay totally transform the bike from a good toy to a serious trials iron! After three years my son has moved up to an 80cc bike and my daughter is now riding the gasgas. In all that time we've had no reliability issues.

• 6 months later...

Hi Guys!

I'm looking to change the rear sprocket for a 60 tooth talon from the 52 tooth original sprocket. I take it the chain wont fit once this has been replaced? If so, which chain have you used instead?

Those that have made the changes to the clutch and airbox... can you give us a bit more info as to exactly what's involved? It's such a neat little bike... I cant wait to get it running a bit sweeter and more managable for my 7 yr old! Many thanks

• 2 years later...