Beta Won't Start....

kickstarter

Be careful about kicking/pushing your bike without the plug cap grounded. It will fry the module. If the bike is still not fixed when you read this, I think the ignition module could be the culprit. Also, make a good inspection of the wires that go up to the module from the engine. I have seen them melted against the exhaust pipe and also chafed through on the wire ring which is for the clutch hose back in the dark recesses of the carb area. The assumption I'm making is that the spark you are seeing is not actually a fat blue spark, but more of a tiny feeble white spark which vanishes once exposed to the ravages of the combustion chamber. My 2000 Beta Rev 3 ran o.k. one minute and crapped out in less than 5 seconds it became a paper weight. The module fixed it.

If you have a good spark it will flash an automotive timing light at kicking speed. If you have or can borrow one, hook it up to a car battery and clamp the inductive lead onto the plug lead on the bike. Kickstart the bike watching for a flash at the timing light. If it does not flash you have a weak spark. If it does flash, your spark is sufficient, and the problem could be broken reeds or a bad vacum leak, or a sheared flywheel key. If you towed it and it had sheared flywheel key it should backfire and pop, but not run. I'm only trying to toss out a few ideas. It's hard to make solid diagnosis from here. Let me know what you find out. Jay. PS: A black box is the same as a module, brain, ignitor, etc. The automotive term is ignition module which is the most correct term I can figure out.

Edited by JayLael