Ty Timeline Please

madcr500

The answer depends on what you mean by making monoshock bikes. Yamaha made works monoshock trials bikes in the mid 1970s that were non-linkage (cantilever) type. These were not available for sale to the public.

Yamaha started selling single shock trials bikes in 1984 but the design was nothing like the works bikes of ten years before and had a linkage type arrangement for the rear shock (monocross).

Twinshock Yamaha trials bikes continued to be sold up until and probably even after 1984 (leftover unsold production) but while the graphics changed over time and were different in different markets around the world, were mechanically unchanged from the models first sold in 1976. 1973/74 and 1975 models are mechanically slightly different to the 1976 and later twinshock models.

The answer depends on what you mean by making monoshock bikes. Yamaha made works monoshock trials bikes in the mid 1970s that were non-linkage (cantilever) type. These were not available for sale to the public.

Yamaha started selling single shock trials bikes in 1984 but the design was nothing like the works bikes of ten years before and had a linkage type arrangement for the rear shock (monocross).

Twinshock Yamaha trials bikes continued to be sold up until and probably even after 1984 (leftover unsold production) but while the graphics changed over time and were different in different markets around the world, were mechanically unchanged from the models first sold in 1976. 1973/74 and 1975 models are mechanically slightly different to the 1976 and later twinshock models.

Thats great. Just the info i was after.

So a twinshocker that is being sold as a 1985 is actually a bike produced in 1984 and only sold in 1985. Right?

I am not concerned with the cantilever bikes.

So a twinshocker that is being sold as a 1985 is actually a bike produced in 1984 and only sold in 1985. Right?

I'm not totally sure what you are asking but it is common for a new bike to be sold in a different year to when it was made (sold as a superceded model). In the case of Yamaha twinshocks, the last model may have been constructed in 1981, but the last of the bikes constructed in 1981 might not have been sold until 1985. To me they are still a 1981 model but some people may call them a 1985 model, because they were sold new in 1985.