Honda Tlr250

spongy

I recently purchased a 1985 Honda TLR250. The engine starts easy and idles nice. Just off idle the engine hesitates for a moment. When I pull the spark plug it is black and sooty. Carburetor information: Keihin 22mm, Main jet 100, pilot jet 38, slide 2.5, Needle position 2nd from top, idle air screw 1 1/4 turns out, spark plug DPR 8EA, plug gap .30", new air filter. My Question: How can I get rid of the hesitation just off idle and is the sooty plug a problem. Thanks for your help........Spongy

The problem could be the needle and the jet that it goes in and out of. They are called the jet needle and needle jet and are usually sold as a set. What happens over the years is that the jet is worn by the needle going in and out and being vibrated by the air flow. Some times you can see by eye that the hole in the jet is no longer round but oval. Try raising the clip on the needle. If that helps then I would recommend new parts.