Pro Riders

brian r

Heres the long and short of it. Our club has at present Expert, Advanced, Intermediate, Novice, and Rookie classes. They all have their own lines.

Back when the club started this was different. We still had most of the classes but only 2 lines. Expert and Advanced rode the same line. To get a district provided number plate and Expert class ranking, an Advanced class rider had to finish in year end points within the top 75% of the Expert class.

The idea here being that the Expert class ranking met something within our district. It was something not everyone could expect to do.

As the years have gone by things have changed. To get more riders we needed more lines. Now all classes have their own line. In order for riders to move up classes we made a point system combined with wins to let you move up a class. This went pretty much unobserved except for the move to Expert. This kept the Expert plate and ranking so it still met something.

This system was kept for many years and is how things were when I started in 99. By 01 I was #8 Expert. The system worked but many people were complaining that not enough people were getting into Expert and we were holding people back. The opposite side still wanted to keep Expert as an earned ranking.

2 years ago we reached a compromise. We said anyone who thinks they want a go at Expert can . The other end was, in order to get the plate, which is your ranking, you must finish in the top 75% of the already ranked Experts. If you do not you still get the year end trophey with your actual finish in Expert class but you will not recieve an Expert # ranking and plate till you make the top 75%.

All this did was allow anyone to try and at the same time keep the meaning behind becoming a D4 Expert.

This year our club has shrank and their are only 3 to 4 ranked Experts in the class. If you dont beat one of the 3 of us you are not going to make the cut.

Under our old rules the rider would not have been able to ride the Expert class at all this season. With the change he was able too and proved he can do it. Next year he will probable be one of our top riders and this will all seem silly.

Last season things were just the opposit. We had 2 riders in advanced that wanted a crack at Expert. With the new rule they jumped up and started to finish in the top 3 most of the time. At seasons end they made the 75%.

No system is perfect but I feel this one works. When it comes right down to the point we are talking about a District ranking that means nothing outside our club. For all I care we can get rid of the plates and rankings within our club all together. My problem is that we seem as a group to want rules so after we spend all the time setting them up and getting everyone to vote them in or out we should observe them weather or not we like them individually.

Aaron

:rolleyes: Re: "When I were a lad" - Ishy when you were a lad I was supping my first few pints - probably after riding a trial that started from the Cross Keys pub in Selattyn near Oswestry ( Bikespace will know that one) - on the other topic of classes - without doubt there are way too many in North America - just think of the competition I could have if I rode in the States - in the over 65 class there is I think , only one rider. - what kind of challenge is that? - I've seen the same thing happen at other events, guys checking out who is riding what class before they sign in - just so they can win and be a hero in their own minds, - That my friends is not what Trials riding is all about. - It is about riding sensible events that take in natural terrain, and having a few bevies with your buddies after the trial. - the reason for the lack of riders = lack of bike sales - is that the riders particularly the young guys are not having fun - the " You rolled back two inches" type of mentality is enough to put anybody off, and no wonder some guys end up with a bunch of fives - like in a fistful. - The trials I run have three lines - if that 'aint enough then buy a street bike. - The old farts should be around to coach and support, not to win trophies, but also they should not forget the Hocky parent problem if they happen to have a young'un riding. - too many young riders have been burnt out because the parent thinks they should be a future Dougie Lampkin. - Hats off to the people at the Trials Training Centre in the States - That is where the future stars will come from, IF they remember that kids are still just kids.

without doubt there are way too many in North America - just think of the competition I could have if I rode in the States - in the over 65 class there is I think , only one rider.

Give it a couple of years and you will have real competition in that class.

Bill de Garis.

This guy always has some of the lowest support line scores.

When Jack Hemingway or Hawley Slayton gets to 75 they are starting a new class.

Ishy:

I guess it's true that when a Yorkshireman speaks, people listen!! :rolleyes: I'm just along for the ride my friend!! Oh an while some of you are bringing up the subject of Hockey, CANADA- Olympic AND World Cup Champions!!! The best in the World, at OUR sport!! Did any of you guys from NY watch the final game??

Cheers, Steve

I'm not from NY anymore. My son Jordan watched it. He told me Canada won. I said good, they invented it! :rolleyes:

As for TTC, those kids look to me like they are having a lot more fun than most of the kids playing Baseball, Football, Basketball or Soccer. I noticed that, and even mentioned it to some folks. I really think we are a different type of people. No delusions of grandeur here! The day it stops being fun is the day we stop.