Pro Riders

brian r

• 3 weeks later...

It seems like some of the experts in our local club try to stop or make it very difficult for young advanced class riders to compeat against them for year end points in the expert class. We have a young rider who has ridden all year in the expert class, rides all of the expert sections, makes it over the big obsticals, has placed ahead of a few older experts and is currently fourth in our year end points. There's a few older experts and has-beens who are trying to stop this rider from receiving a year end trophy and number plate. They say he hasn't earned his way to the expert class the way they did.

Is this a district AMA sactioned event?

It shouldn't matter what age he is, a win is a win.

Our club is blessed to have very talented young riders, all who compete hard and respect the winner, any age, any class.

Brad Villand has been our number one guy for a few years, yet the last two he hasn't competed a full season, this opened the door for Patrick and Phillip Smage.

Do the older guys get upset when the kids win, I would guess maybe, I know I did when Phillip and Patrick beat me for the first time. :rolleyes:

Does our club keep them from recieving what they earned, NO!

When I wer a lad :rolleyes:

I can see the point the older experts are making Mark, just after T' second world war you had to start in the novice class and earn enough points to move up to the next class, which wasn't too bad has the military had a good supply of BSA dispatch bikes left over, but a good kid took three years to make expert from novice, in fact I think they still do in some countries.

Today in the USA if you put this plan in to operation with all the classes one could be collecting the pension before he gets to the expert class.

My opinion is!! the kid earned the points that's good enough for me, but then again we are only getting a little bit of the whole tale.

Not many clubs have a so called pro class that I know of, but doesn't this suggest that the riders are getting paid for what they do, and in truth only ten pro riders contest the national pro class ? and how many actualy get a wage for doing so?.

And of those ten pro riders is it not true that half of them are retiring from the pro class this year? hell it must be good to retire at that age :)

In our local club we have about 8 of us old gits who ride the expert class and the sad thing is we have been for the past 15/20 years, now and again a young un will come along practice a lot and start beating us, learn all about the other sex, then leave us old gits battling for the expert class # one position again.

For a sport in which the participant numbers are not growing in fact in some areas they are decreasing, why is it the numbers of classes are growing from club trials to world rounds?

To get true competition at all levels of this sport there should be two lines at the most!! an hard and an easy, then depending on the event those lines would get more difficult has you moved up the scale, it's the event and sections that need looking at!! not more classes, or what they call the bloody classes.

You could still have three classes novice, intermediate and expert, with the intermediate riding half of each line, that way you would have three different levels of section severity, will this work, W I F, every bugger wants to be number one even if it does mean riding in a class of your own.

I have been having a chat with my good bud Lane, and the simple fact is the truth can somtimes hurt ;) so all you old gits out there stop ;)

dry your eyes, only when loads of kids are beating us will it mean that trials is on the mend.

Bout time things got shook up a bit round here.

I would like to think that I am an expert on this topic! I have just turned 40 this year! I am a 4-time Canadian champion. My first championship was in 1984, the last was in 1994. I have seen many a young kid come along and get increasingly good and eventually beat me!! This list includes many other Canadian champs too, from Mark Cahill to Ryon Bell! For me personally, I always felt that the best thing I could do for these guys is try to dislpay to them the intensity it takes to be a good rider and be a champion! It was obvious to me that they would be better than me very soon, so I never had any ill feelings towards them as I competed with them!

Most recently, in 2002, I competed against Sean Bird in the Expert class of our PNTA Championships. I could see he was going to be a very promising rider! He beat me the first day by one point! It motivated me to be better the second day! We were neck and neck the whole day, and the trial came down to the last section! I was lucky enough to beat him that day, but I enjoyed the totally competing with him and hoped that we both raised each others level of riding!

I still ride expert in our club and PNTA points events! I believe that it is one of the ways that I can contribute to all the young guys coming up, by riding as hard as I can anytime I ride! I'm proud to be able to say that I have been able to stay at this level for about 20yrs, and hope I can continue for many more!!

Cheers, Steve

You just about got me to tears with that nice story Steve, but no bugger gives a toss what you did ten bloody year ago, and of all those names you mention with the exception of Sean, they are all off breeding or something.

NOW, we can get a bit of sense back in the sport if we want, but that's the big question, do we want!!

Ishy you old sod, next time I can bring a tear to your eye, let me know and I will be sure to have a tissue ready for you...............When I was a Lad!!!! That must have been quite some time ago then!! You old fart!! Glad to know I can invoke such emotions in you!!

cheers, Steve

Bloody hell!! what's it coming too.

Next you'll want the obesity line, or isn't that politicaly correct, should it be fat fellows in flat caps

:rolleyes:

Looks like the UK is heading down the same road reading the results of this trial.

WAY TOO MANY CLASSES

http://www.trialscentral.com/cms/files/Sou...%2012-09-04.pdf

Edited by ishy

It seems like some of the experts in our local club try to stop or make it very difficult for young advanced class riders to compeat against them for year end points in the expert class. We have a young rider who has ridden all year in the expert class, rides all of the expert sections, makes it over the big obsticals, has placed ahead of a few older experts and is currently fourth in our year end points. There's a few older experts and has-beens who are trying to stop this rider from receiving a year end trophy and number plate. They say he hasn't earned his way to the expert class the way they did.

I guess I should take this personally Mark since I am either one of the Experts or the Hasbeens.

Its funny how you dont mention this is your son you are talking about and you did not have any problems with this rule till it affected your son.

You also dont mention the fact that the only thing he is being kept from is a club provided expert number plate, he sill gets a year end award like any other Expert rider. The present rule states that a rider must earn an expert ranking by finishing in the top 75% of the class. He has not done that.

Thank You for showing me the kind of guy you really are.

Aaron

My opinion is!! the kid earned the points that's good enough for me, but then again we are only getting a little bit of the whole tale.

A bit more of the whole tale emerges, :rolleyes:

Is the reason more classes and lines because club and center/regional events are now being set way over the top ? which brings me back to an earlier point it's the section and events that need looking at not the classes.

I know sometimes I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but help me out here.

He's riding the Expert line but he's not an Expert? He has to finish in the top 75% of what class? The one he's not supposed to be in? How many riders would have to be in the Expert class for him to be 4th in points and not in the top 75%. 16?

Mark, is this all about a $20.00 number plate? I know it's hard to be from NY and not be angry all the time, just look at Ray. :rolleyes: Just kidding.

So get out of Horseheads and come to Tn.

Seriously, Aaron, clearify this for me please?

Brian (from Wilseyville, other side of Swartwood hill!)

Although I agree with most of the ****e that Ishy blurbs ;) I think the three routes round our way has helped a little.

What we have is:

Novice route, which tends to be a lot of clubman level riders, over 40's, Youth B etc

Expert route, a fair bit harder with some big stuff.

But also, (and this is the extra route really) a White route which is classed as the beginners.

Riders who are progressing fairly well on TY80 machines could manage this route. Total beginners straight off a road bike.

Part of the trouble is people staying too long on their existing routes. There seems to be a mass of people who like to come out and clean the easy route. If they're losing marks they're not happy. No interest in progressing.

One thing I threw a track about was the renaming of the Adult Beginner class to Adult Sportsman, as this encourages people to stay on the same route and call themselves a Sportsman.

The "I've got to go to work in the morning" line doesn't rub when you're just moving up to the Novice route. You may as well get a road bike and go sit at the sea-side with your butties.

Move up and let some total beginners have some glory.

I agree about the classes - way too many. Everyone wants an award these days for nowt.

By the way, if you're inventing an obese class Ishy I may be tempted to drop down from Expert for that :rolleyes:

Will our route be planned to take in pubs and kebab vans at regular intervals?

Edited by Bikespace

I think if he rode expert all season give him the number plate.Besides these

finish numbers mean nothing to most people but a few in the group.If you only ride half the events your finish down on the list if you ride them all your finish is going to be much higher.It is not always the best rider on top but the one who rode the most events to win it.JR