Boyer V's Pvl

b40rt

Has anyone fitted Boyer and swapped to PVL ignition ? I am particularly interested if fitted to a B40, but any comparison would be interesting. What are the advantages / disadvantages of each ?

B40RT

hi ,

i had pvl fitted to my b40 but had problems bike kept cutting out and running irregular so i fitted pvl with the automatic advance the bike runs faultless and has twice the power it had on the boyer system i got mine off alan whitton01246419805

cheers stu

I had Boyer Bransden black box ignition on my Cub for 10 yrs without fault.

It does rely on good magnetism in the Lucas rotor of course. I fitted a new one at the same time as the old one gave hardley any spark at all.

I just changed to PVL because it was on another Cub I bought.

Does it run any better?

Yes I think it does due to a stronger spark that is probably down to the closer tolerances between the rotor and stator.

Pros and Cons

PVL is lighter overall - not affected by knocks to the primary chaincase that causes the Lucas rotor to rub on the stator and overheat etc.

You can run the engine with the primary cover off to check the timing with a strobe.

Boyer has I suspect a marginally better advance curve.

No need to strip down for expensive engineering (although unusually my PVL is on a bolt on bracket so no engineering to the crankcases was needed).

Cheaper than PVL - almost half the price if you have a good rotor and stator?

You pays your money and you takes your choice!

I had Boyer Bransden black box ignition on my Cub for 10 yrs without fault.

It does rely on good magnetism in the Lucas rotor of course. I fitted a new one at the same time as the old one gave hardley any spark at all.

I just changed to PVL because it was on another Cub I bought.

Does it run any better?

Yes I think it does due to a stronger spark that is probably down to the closer tolerances between the rotor and stator.

Pros and Cons

PVL is lighter overall - not affected by knocks to the primary chaincase that causes the Lucas rotor to rub on the stator and overheat etc.

You can run the engine with the primary cover off to check the timing with a strobe.

Boyer has I suspect a marginally better advance curve.

No need to strip down for expensive engineering (although unusually my PVL is on a bolt on bracket so no engineering to the crankcases was needed).

Cheaper than PVL - almost half the price if you have a good rotor and stator?

You pays your money and you takes your choice!

I've heard good reports about PVL, but found it hard to believe it could be much better than my existing Boyer system. What you say seems to confirm this. I have seen some B40's with a smalley primary chain chase (off a C15?) which narrow the engine significantly, which may be the major advantage. Many thanks. Any more info ??