Fork Leaking.. Advise Please?

jza

Hey guys,

Noticed that i was skidding the front a lot and realised my fork is now a pogo stick... the "muck" on the right fork tube was actually fork oil bugger.

I'm hoping its just a case of repalcing the oil seals and the dust caps, refilling the forks with oil and i'll have my forks back?

Is this an easy job or one for a dealer to sort out?

Next bit is the fork oil...

I'm a big lad.. 18 stone dry so i have lots of pre-load and damping to stop the front bottoming out... it sinks way too easily due to my weight i think.

The standard oil is 10 weight... im 18 stone so thought i'd up the fork oil to 15 weight?

Will this will allow me to wind off the damping and preload a bit? Am i right that this could help with the bottoming out issue?

Anyone have an ideas?

Jza

If you are reasonably handy the seal job isn't that bad. As to the fork oil weight issue, I would be more tempted to fit heavier springs to compensate (I don't know the stone/kilo/pounds conversions) as this should help to maintain the montesa "sofa" like ride.

Spencer

Seals is a bread and butter job, easy enough but you will need to make a 'special tool' to hold the damper rod while you undo the damper bolt.

Mines a piece of steel 're-bar' with a flat tip screw driver end welded on the end. Only met one fork it wouldn't do! You stick it down the stanchion. If you need more info on the process let me know, I've done loads of them now! I've heard of people using a broom handle carved to a point with success too!

You shouldn't need to replace the dust seals, just the oil ones.

Fork oil weight - I'm 15 stone and use 7.5 as recommend by 'Al the Spanner' of Whites and I can't bottom it out. I'm sure 10 should be enough for you. For best advice give Sandifords a call. When it comes to Mont's they really know there stuff. Pre-load does come down to the springs though so again ask Sandifords, they'll let you know the best options.