Repacking Silencer?

tonyp884

Could someone give me some input as to the best way to repack a silencer?

In this case my son has a Gas Gas 50. We bought it used, and it was pretty loud. I took the silencer apart and found some pretty nasty looking oily packing. I repacked it with an FMF repacking kit. The bike was really quiet!...... For about 1 hour !

What did I do wrong? Should I pack it loose or wrap it really tight?

Is one packing material better than another?

Or, should I just give up and accept the fact that this bike is going to be noisey?

If it matters, I am running Amsoil at 80:1 and the bike does smoke a little.

Thanks,

Tony P

Charlotte, NC USA

The best packing to use is the factory replacement stuff, or the aftermarket stuff (like FMF). You can use household fibreglass insulation, but it tends to blow out much faster, as the fibre strands are shorter.

When packing, wrap the packing firmly, but not too tightly, as it will be louder if you do. What I do it wrap the packing and use masking tape (brown paper tape, often used by painters) to secure it in place. This holds it together while you slip the canister back on.

Sounds to me like you might have wrapped it too loosely and it migrated to one end of the silencer.