Hello

matt132006

hi there

im from derby im 15

i got a cr250 and ride it in bonsall quarry

im hoping to get a trials bike something like a gasgas 250 or gasgas280.. what your thoughts?

and all how do i join the trials club that ride in bonsall quarry?

many thanks matt

Mat, welcome to TC.

If you wish to ride in ACU events, you will need a 125 trials bike because of your age.

Before you dismiss the idea, see if you can get a go on a 125, they are well suited to someone who is new to trials and have more than enough power- even if you are quite large for you age.

All of the major manufacturers produce 125's and have done for quite a while now, so there are lots to choose from, depending on your budget.

:D

Mat, welcome to TC.

If you wish to ride in ACU events, you will need a 125 trials bike because of your age.

Before you dismiss the idea, see if you can get a go on a 125, they are well suited to someone who is new to trials and have more than enough power- even if you are quite large for you age.

All of the major manufacturers produce 125's and have done for quite a while now, so there are lots to choose from, depending on your budget.

:D

well would i be able 2 ride bigger bikes when im 16? or is it still 125?

When you are 16 you can elect to ride as an adult, this means that you can ride any size machine.

If you enter as a Youth you must be on a 125, even if you are 17.

Which ever you choose, you will need a parent or guardian to sign the entry form when you compete until you are 18.

Hope this helps.

When you are 16 you can elect to ride as an adult, this means that you can ride any size machine.

If you enter as a Youth you must be on a 125, even if you are 17.

Which ever you choose, you will need a parent or guardian to sign the entry form when you compete until you are 18.

Hope this helps.

ok thanks this helped very much

I believe you're right in both cases Scorpa 3 - about being able to ride any machine at 16 if you ride an adult event, and also needing an adult to sign the entry form.

One thing I'd like to clear up, if John Collins or any of the other ACU chaps are knocking around:

It says in TSR2:

"For every rider or passenger who is under 18 years of age a Parental Agreement must be signed. This is incorporated in the Annual Competition Licence and Trials Registration form and once completed will serve as the riders Annual Parental Agreement."

This makes it sound like no parental consent is needed on the day?

The reason I ask is that on quite a few occasions I've taken a mates kid to a trial, and been asked to sign as his "Parent or Guardian" which I know, legally, I am not, and have no real right to sign for him. The reason I do sign for him is that I believe that this signature on the day is possibly not needed (or in any way legally binding), so irrelevant, and secondly, I know I have the consent of the parents, so take very slim the risk that the parents may have a change of heart and sue me later :D

The other reason is that as an organiser, I should understand the in's and out's of this, and I don't think many people (if anybody outside the ACU) are absolutely clear on this rule.

Even though I may take along an entry form signed by the parents, clubs do ask for a parental (or guardian) signature on the day. I know in the old days there was a misconception that a guardian was any adult who the parents had trusted with their kids for the day, which these days we know is not true - a parent or guardian is a legal position that can't be casually handed over.

What's the real deal with this one?

Yep, certainly a grey area which sould do with clearing up.

My 17 year old nephew drives himself to a trial in his own car and signs on as an adult in an adult class but is only 17.

In the past I've always signed as his parent or guardian, which I'm not (I'm the uncle, not the Dad) but thankfully never been pulled for it or had any problems... so far!

a lad I take riding is 14, im 22 and always sign for him at trials with no problems, i think that all they are looking for is someone old enough to take responsibility for them, but as for the official rules, no idea!

Tom

oh, and matt, Im not sure if there are any clubs that ride at bonsall, however there is burycliffe quarry which is very near to bonsall, its a small venue but packed full of stuff perfect for trials.

when you get your bike give me a shout and ill show you around.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Answer was actually on Licence/Trials registration form all along!

I have asked that it be included in Handbook for next year.

Reads: ( better if you read actual form)

Parental Agreement in respect of Minors under the age of 18.

Under 14 -

I consent to minor competing in motorcycle sport

Parent ( or Legal Guardian) must be present when the minor competes.

Aged 14 to 15

I consent to minor competing in motorcycle sport

I understand that whenever the minor competes a responsible adult ( who need not be his/her Parent or Guardian) must be present. In respect of events which I am unable to attend, I agree that the responsible adult who attends with the minor has my authority to sign competitor documentation on behalf of the minor.

Aged 16 and Over

I consent to the minor competing in Motorycle sport

I understand there is no requirement for the minor to be accompanied to events by an adult. I authorise the minor to sign documentation on his/her own behalf

ALL THIS IS FOLLOWED BY A PARA WHICH IS A DECLARATION THE PARENT HAS TO SIGN - AND WE ALL TEND TO CALL THIS THE ANNUAL PARENTAL AGREEMENT

Note - For R/Race, Drag, Sprint & Hillclimb - the Parent MUST be present for minors( U 18) at all events.

So - To sum up -

U14 - Parent must be there

14 -15 - Provided the Annual Declaration has been signed - a responsible adult can be nominated.

Over 16 - Provided a Parental Declaration is aready in place - rider does not have to be accompanied.