Softening The Controls

rustandoil

A small update on what might be considered progress:

We went along to watch a few sections at the Evesham MCC trial last weekend, this was probably the most challenging trial that we has visited. Impressive stuff :iamwithstupid: , I clearly have a l-o-n-g way to go , and am not sure that I will ever be as good as the worst rider we saw, but not to be put off on our return home I thought I would warm my bike up to drain the oil and change to the synthetic stuff, this turned out to be the most I have ridden the bike, we hacked a bit of undergrowth out at the bottom of the garden and made a (very) small section, very tight and a bit slippery but plenty enough of a challenge for me and my boy.

It was clear that this was to turn out to be an afternoons play, so I changed to the slow throttle, initially I did not like it but after about 10 mins I found I had more control. Result!

Next change was to wear some gloves, nothing fancy just some cheap fingerless mountain bike gloves with a padded palm, this greatly improved comfort. Result #2!

At the end of play I drained the oil, I am so pleased that I have done this as the amount of metal particles in there was quite a surprise, unfortunately did not get chance to ride again until the following day, the new synthetic oil was not all that I had hoped for, my clutch control was back to square 1 :) , disappointed I made some small adjustments to the lever and after the bike was warm I am somewhere near to having the clutch control I had previously been enjoying, conclusion: synthetic oil, is not the magic cure all I had been hoping for, but possibly a little smoother (when warm). Result #3

One final thing I have found that has improved my control is to wear my newly purchased boots, much more comfortable and now I can reach the rear brake without lifting my foot from the peg. Result #4

My final conclusion is somewhat obvious, time on the bike is how you learn better control, just riding round, stopping, balancing a bit, figure of eights all help a lot, anyway, after spending that afternoon on the bike I now feel ready to progress to some different terrain, if it ever stops raining......... :wall: