Where Should I Ride?

davetom

Not too far from finishing the build of my C15, never done a trial before, used to do modern enduro`s so ok (ish) on the mud. I`ve done the usual mods but funds don`t yet run to fiddle forks, so have some old Betors with the outboard triple clamp bolts. I`m in B`ham so looking to ride around Midlands, and I`m sure I won`t be gracing any podiums in the foreseeable....

Which clubs will turn a blind eye (if any?) and would I be eligable to go in Specials class in Sammy Miller series next year?

( P.S for Charlie; after seeking advice from you and others, I eventually widened the swingarm by an inch by simply cutting it in half then inserting extra metal to make up the gap. Then put 2 half inch brass bushes in each side and a mate made up a longer spindle.Downside is I`ve widened bike by half inch each side but I`m 6`2 and gangly so hopefully won`t make much difference)

Re the Miller rounds, I found some info on it just by googling it about classes etc. Sorry I can't do a link. There are a few on here from Brum area, Woody knows his onions up that way.And he's got a BSA. Cheers. :lol:

Edited by bo drinker

Hi Guy's

Hi Dave ,Good man it dosn't matter how you do the job as long as you get it done, and see the job out to the end. Bet you are proud of the bike as well.

You should be able to find a ride around you without a lot of trouble, without even thinking about the yokes. Put a set of ribbed gaters on the fork's then they never look as modern. Hope the bike goes well.

Regard's Charlie.

You've plenty of local trials over the winter for Pre65 as the BMCA (link to website below) run a trial each weekend from September through to April.

Trials are 4 laps of 10 sections generally, sections being of a gentle nature usually, depends on venue and weather obviously and there are two routes, so you'll have no problem with finding sections to suit your lack of trials experience. They have also experimented with the 50/50 route at times. This is called the clubman route and uses a mix of hard and easy routes and suits riders who aren't challenged enough by the easy route but don't want to ride every section on the hard route.

As regards your bike there is a fair mix of bikes in use, rigid 500 Ajays, Matchless etc, through to lightweight Bantams. They don't actively encourage heavily modernised bikes and there aren't any of the lightweight modernised Cubs or James around (maybe one Cub) Having said that, they wouldn't turn anyone away on one either. The only thing they generally don't like is a foreign carburettor or the obvious stuff like a pair of GasGas front forks or discs or anything daft. As long as no-one takes the pee they're pretty accomodating.

I'm assuming that you're Betors are fom an Ossa or Bulto. If Bulto they're going to be leading axle which is a bit more obvious than the Ossa which are in-line spindle forks which look the same as MP or Ceriani. As Charlie says, if you put some gaiters on them it makes them look a bit more period as does painting them black. There's always the option of riding in the specials class if you don't want to rock the boat at all.

Can't honestly say you'd have any problems there really - you wouldn't be the only one with Spanish front end parts.

As regards the Miller rounds it is basically the silhouette formula. As long as it looks period it is acceptable. Again, the only thing you can't have is a foreign carb, so your bike would be fine in the Miller rounds also. There is a Miller round this weekend run by South Birmingham, The Greensmith, over by Craven Arms. Or there is the BMCA at Tanworth in Arden. Go along to one and have a look, although I'd recommend the Miller round as obviously this is a national series and you won't get another chance to spectate locally as the next one is south of Oxford, whereas there will be another BMCA event each week afterwards to go and visit.

I think you are worrying about nothing to be honest, when you see what else is out there being ridden and therefore deemed acceptable. I'm not against modifying the bikes myself, it's just some people's attitudes towards what's acceptable and what's not, or who you are. The whole eligibilty thing is a laughing stock. There's a club in Yorkshire or Lancashire, can't remember, who will not allow the rear shock mount positions to be moved..... it's against their rules (didn't people have welders and hacksaws in the early 60s then..??) However, you can have a 280cc Cub and they will allow you to fit a D'ellorto - yes FOREIGN - carb to it. Some logic eh.

Just go out and ride your bike and enjoy it, you'll be fine.

BMCA

You need to be there before the organisers have left the start if you want a route map. Don't know what time first man away is as I'm riding Lakes 2 day so won't be there but if you're there no later than 10.30am you should get a route card ok.